What's new

As a Kid, Big Moments in your TV watching.. (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

The networks have been under pressure for decades to curb any form of entertainment in children's programming. :)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
One of my first memories of TV in the 50s was watching Captain Kangaroo and the Mickey Mouse Club. There was also a great line-up of live action shows on Saturday -- Rin Tin Tin, My Friend Flika, Sky King, Fury, and Roy Rogers & Dale Evans. Great stuff.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
For me, the moment that leaps to mind is one day when I was at my mother's work for a couple of hours. I was bored, so my mother turned on the TV for me, and told me there was a show starting soon that she thought I would like.

So I watched it, and it seemed pretty funny. And then a couple of minutes, the guy took off his shoe, and turned it into a phone, and I realised I was watching the greatest show ever made.

Twenty years later, they've just started showing Get Smart reruns here in NZ again, and it is still one of my favourite comedies.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
One strong memory that sticks out in my mind was Mike Brady reading the Arizona Memorial plaque when the Brady's went to Hawaii.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
- in the 60's watching the Ed Sullivan, Jackie Gleason, Dean Martin and Smothers Brothers shows. Particularly the Smothers Brothers when The Beatles performed Hey Jude - I was shocked to see that those wacky Moptops from Liverpool (I was around 8 or 9 at the time and the last time I saw the beatles was the cartoon!) had turned into something I didn't recognize

- I recall seeing JFK's funeral although I was only 5ish

- Watching Man walk on the moon - Live

- the old Disney show that was introduced by Walt hissonself! On Sundays

- the first time my parents let me stay up late enough to see Star Trek. I was 9 or 10 and it was during it's original run - the transporter blew my mind!

- The first time I saw the movie "The Time Machine" (Rod Taylor version). Those crazy Morlocks scared the crap out of me.

- the yearly viewings of things like the Wizard of Oz, the Charlie Brown Holiday Specials, the Grinch - seemed much more special back then.

a couple more:

- Sitting one the floor playing with some forgotten toy, mom ironing clothes watching the B&W 20" Zenith and a live bullfight was being broadcast. We were living in El Paso at the time and broadcast originated in Juarez. Wathcing that guy stick swords (or whatever) into that bull really bothered me. Again - around 5-7 yrs old

- watching Saturday morning cartoons!! Tom & Jerry, Herman & Catnip, Johnny Quest, Bugs Bunny, Casper. Oh yeah.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
Saturday morning=Crusader Rabbit
Week night=Combat
Christmas=R and Bs Rudolph and one time a show I think was called the wonderful world of trains. It aired around 1962 or so. It started with marionettes walking up a hill and then sitting on a bench. They started talking about trains and then the rest of the show was Lionel trains with all the trimmings. I saw that once and never forgot it.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
The Saturday that they changed the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song stands out in my mind. The premiere episode for that season rocked. All I can remember now is Splinter breaking a lock with his paws to free April and a fierce battle against Shredder.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
That Family Ties episode was a big moment for me, too. Funny how we all remember Alex driving a Volvo.

~T

MattHR

Screenwriter
That's easy: The introduction of Jaime Sommers on The Six Million Dollar Man in 1975. It was an exciting -- yet traumatic -- 2-part episode. By the end of Part 1, Jaime had become bionic and was engaged to Steve. By the end of Part 2, she was dead. (Of course, within a year she was resurrected and had her own show, but that initial shock was still devastating to a 9-year old.)

Other events that are burned into my psyche:

The Night Stalker, Gargoyles, Devil Dog, Duel, Trilogy of Terror, and Frankenstein: The True Story. As a kid, the '70s were great for freaky made-for-TV movies!

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Oh yes. Trilogy of Terror. That one really scared me. I also liked Frankenstein: The True Story. I also remember watching the original Frankenstein movie on late night TV with my father. For some reason, my dad called them horral movies instead of horror movies. I never knew why. We watched Frankenstein sometime in the early 70s and I seem to remember it hadn't been shown on TV for a long time for some reason. Or maybe it was just in the Louisville area where it hadn't been shown.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I also remember watching those TGIF shows every Friday, which started out as a block of Miller-Boyett shows. I always thought Miller-Boyett tried to be the Hanna-Barbera of family sitcoms.

I remember those public service announcements on ABC (like making ice cubes and reading) and NBC (One to Grow On).

Maybe it's just me, but I think there was one PSA in the 80's, that showed some manniquen and suddenly the head came off. It may have been for drinking and driving. That scared the living daylights out of me, as I was only a little kid at the time.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Walter C said:
I also remember watching those TGIF shows every Friday, which started out as a block of Miller-Boyett shows. I always thought Miller-Boyett tried to be the Hanna-Barbera of family sitcoms.

I remember those public service announcements on ABC (like making ice cubes and reading) and NBC (One to Grow On).
/QUOTE]

I think I vaugley remember the ice cube one, but the one I definetly remember was the 'icicle pop' one..

TGIF was must see TV for me as a kid. And of course, when Saget was replaced on Home Videos.....As much as I like Tom Berguron, the show went downhill :).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I think we are talking about the same thing, the one where toothpicks were inserted into the ice cube tray, turning into icicle pops. I just remember that fat yellow character.

Saget's voiceovers drove me nuts when watching Funniest Home Videos. I also remember the cast of Full House making an appearance on the show.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Miami Vice: Crockett's Black Ferrari GTB used as a target practice with a Stinger (broke my heart). But my spirits were lifted when it was replaced by a white Testarossa...

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Re: Full house on AFVH...

BTW, I was labeling it that on my tapes long before it was called it ;)...

Remember when it used to be so special when a TGIF show went to Disney? Then ABC was bought, and they seemed to go every week :).

'I have the day off today, Lets go to DisneyWorld!'

'Yaaay!'

LewB

Screenwriter
Bugs Bunny Saturday mornings, Officer Joe Bolton and the stooges on weekdays, Hogan's Hero's (Mondays?).
But the best was when CBS played 'The Prisoner' as a summertime replacement for the Jackie Gleason show if memory serves.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I remember those Disney World episodes. I found it weird that a little advertisement, saying something like "air travel for Full House was provided by United Airlines", right before the closing credits.

Full House was the only TGIF show where I've seen every episode of. The others I stopped watching when they just drove me crazy (like the different versions of Steve Urkel)

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
No apologies for this dose of British nostalgia; the biggest childhood TV moment for me in the 1970s was the Saturday early evening ritual of sitting down to watch 'Doctor Who'. The theme tune and title sequence were unlike anything on TV, and this benevolent alien called the Doctor was a hero, a friend and a mad uncle all rolled into one.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
The first big moment that comes to mind is the series finale of The Wonder Years. It was the first time I remember crying after watching an episode of television. I even cried the second time I watched it when they re-aired it on Nick at Nite. I was really attached to those characters, so the final voiceover really got to me.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
1st memory have at all of TV (barely) was watching this little kid standing in his shorts either saluting or shading his eyes at a funeral.

Watching Saturday morning somewhere around Labor Day weekend for the Previews of upcoming new cartoons with pencil and paper to jot down what looked best -- Banana Splits, Scooby Doo, Spiderman

The premiere of the Brady Bunch with the Wedding and Tiger chasing Fluffy and turning over the cake.

1st color TV in winter late 1966 watching this new show with some ugly guy with deformed ears who talked funny. But they had lasers and funny looking aliens.

Grandma's house on Sunday night watching Bonanza and Wizard of Oz.

Neil Armstrong

Apollo 13

The news reports when they would do the updates on the War -- Chet Huntley I think.
US Soldier Killed today 100 Vietnamese Killed 2500
Us Soldier Wounded 750 Vietnamese Injured 5000

Saturday Afternoon Matinee Sci-Fi movies -- The Mole People and The Monolith Monsters for some reason stand out.

Watching Bob Gibson pitch in the World Series.

1969 World Series -- watching part of it in school.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks