What's new

artists that you purchase CDs from sight unseen "sound unheard"? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
who are the artists that you will purchase new music from based on their name? when any of these artists release anything, i'll buy it without knowing a thing about it.

ben folds
belle and sebastian
wendy carlos
pearl jam
prefuse 73/scott herren

CJ

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Porcupine Tree
Jack Johnson
Marillion
Steely Dan

used to include
Iron Maiden (lost it after Powerslave)
Dire Straits (lost it after BiA)
and people no longer producing records
Led Zep
Rush (?)
Pink Floyd
Queen

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Plenty:

Bowie
Springsteen
U2
Madonna
The Stones
McCartney
Pearl Jam
Big Country
Elvis Costello
Peter Gabriel
Garbage
Janet Jackson

And a bunch of others I can't think of right now...

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
The White Stripes
Nine Inch Nails
Neko Case
My Bloody Valentine (I can dream.)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Rush has a new album due out sometime this spring (all recording is done - just fine tuning album at this point).

I will DEFINITELY buy anything Rush or Pink Floyd new.

I was burned previously by U2, and will not buy anything of their's as blind purchases anymore. C'mon, after Achtung Baby we were treated with Zooropa which I only listened to once and I have no idea where that CD is now (and I really don't care to find it - only to throw it away).

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Currently:

Neko Case
Bowie - He's really gotten on his game the last few albums
Nine Inch Nails
Anne Sophie Mutter

Previously
Stereolab - they seemed to go down hill after Mary Hansen died.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I got halfway through the alphabet and already had 34 artists or groups that I own complete collections of. So, that would be a little tedious to get into.
Here's a few:
Bob Wills
Clifton Chenier
Chris Smither
The Donnas
Harry Nilsson
Holy Model Rounders
Merle Haggard
Moon Mullican

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I bought Al Stewart's new album last year without listening to it first. I do the same for just about any Western artist.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Genesis (when they were releasing material)
Peter Gabriel
Matthew Sweet
(not an artist but) RCA Living Stereo SACD releases
many hi-res MCH classical and jazz recordings (but usually based on a recommendation from someone I trust)
Alison Krauss (with or without Union Station)

Not very many, really. Not because there are not any other deserving, but because of limited time, finances and my desire to go broad with my purchases. Even the above list only includes artists I've purchased "sound unheard", not artists for whom I have a complete collection (I have none).

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Currently:
Dream Theater
Pearl Jam
Diana Krall (though I didn't like "From this moment on" too much)
Megadeth
Silverchair

Previously:
Metallica (they've fallen so far in my opinion)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Over the last few years, my list has shrunk greatly on the artist's cds that I would purchase unheard.

Tori Amos: although the Beekeeper still hasn't pulled me in yet, there's not one cd or tour I've missed.

Sheryl Crow: favourite album has got to be The Globe Sessions, but Weather Channel from C'mon C'mon is up there. Wildflower is currently on heavy rotation in my mp3 player.

Madonna: hasn't led me astray yet, and despite the reviews for American Life, it's easily one of my favourites. Never fails to impress with her live shows either.

Chris Isaak: the man is in perpetual heartbreak mode. Why mess with a good thing?

Enigma: the lastest cd is a somewhat return/ foward move to what Enigma does best.

Robbie Williams: current cd is Rudebox, which left me scratching my head, but after a few listens, some tracks really stand out like "She's Madonna" and "The Actor".

Sarah Brightman: every cd is a journey. Favourite cd still is "Dive".

Minnie Driver: ok, she only has one cd, but I bought it, well because it's Minnie Driver and after all that's said and done, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to hear what she does next.

Damhnait Doyle: damn right sexy, amazing voice and music. Favourite cd is "Hyperdramatic" especially the title cut, with "Afterglow" and "Another California Song" a close second from the cd "Dav-net". Her rendition of Bob Marley's "Is This Love" with Danny Michel is from her forth coming cover cd. Her work with Shaye is good, although the new forth coming Shaye cd may get lost in the mix.

Susanna Hoffs: I need more solo stuff from her! The Under the Covers Vol. 1 cd with Matthew Sweet is amazing! So when is Vol. 2 coming out?!

Sophie B. Hawkins: some much more than just "Damn, I wish I was your lover", which is still an amazing song. Whaler is also another great cd.

Bjork: just bought the surrounded boxset and all I can say is WOW! Listening to the tracks in dts is a whole new experience.

I have some many more artists that I could write down, but one that's fallen out of favour lately is Chantal Kreviazuk.

I don't understand how someone so talented, who put out both "Colour Moving and Still" (with songs like "Far Away" and "Eve") and "What If It All Means Something" can put out such a tuneless and mediocre piece of crap like "Ghost Stories".

Oh yeah, I forgot, the cd was produced by her husband Raine Maida.

I was at the cd release party back in Aug. and was horribly disappointed. Lately at her live shows, she has this awful scowl on her face, like she would rather have a root canal than be performing live.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Pearl Jam
Peter Gabriel

I would if they'd put something new out:

Pink Floyd
Sade
Live material from Soundgarden and Van Halen w/David Lee Roth

Not Anymore, but used to:

System of a Down
Metallica
Bruce Springsteen
Rolling Stones

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
past and present:
Aphex Twin
Art of Noise
Beatles
Beck
BT
Wendy Carlos
Chemical Brothers
Dave Brubeck Quartet
Electric Light Orchestra
Emmylou Harris
Fatboy Slim
Gorillaz
Bernard Herrmann
Jean-Michel Jarre
Juno Reactor
Leo Kottke
Aimee Mann
Mike Oldfield
Orbital
Pet Shop Boys
Prodigy
Queen
The Shadows
Tremeloes
White Stripes
John Williams
Yello
Hans Zimmer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks