Article About Cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Corey_ Williams, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Corey_ Williams

Corey_ Williams Stunt Coordinator

First, I would like to say that I love DVD ETC

It seems that the mag get better with every issue.

In this issue I was reading the article about cables. The article states that some companies put heavier coverings on cheap cables, and sell these cables for a lot more.

In not say that this is not true, but why didn't the writer say who these companies are? I would like to know so that I will not waste my money.

If you guys know, let the guilty be exposed[​IMG]

2. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Corey, we are going to be starting cable reviews as of the May issue, so they should provide you with a bit more info. As for even more info on determining which cables are worth your money, this forum and several others have signficiant numbers of useful threads on this issue.

3. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

how r bettercables.com ?

4. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I've got a suggestion for the upcoming cable reviews. I think it would be great if the reviewer splits the cable (and the mag shows photos) and basically disects it for us. The effect of cabling on a system depends on the components that are used, so just saying 'these sound really great' doesn't mean a lot unless I have the same setup as the reviewer. To show how they are put together would be helpful in the buying decision, and expose the companies that jacket thick rubber around the cheap throw away cables.

Maybe this was your intention all along, if so I'm still taking credit for it. [​IMG]

5. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Arthur,
    What I have tried of BetterCables.com has been quite good and I recommend them. The component cables are reviewed in the next issue, and I use them myself.

Ronn,
    I appreciate your sentiment, but allow me to disagree with you. If a cable sounds good in a system and I can describe to you what it does, you should be able to get a similar effect in your system. In that way, I think it does mean something. I have taken cables from one system, and put them in another system, and been able to hear similar effects in both.