What's new

Army of Darkness is an HD DVD Abomination (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Dirt is bad, but high resolution dirt is better than low resolution dirt. :) And why is there so much loathing of film grain? I can understand an objection to film grain added by the transfer, but it's flat out wrong to think that an HD transfer must have NO film grain (ie look like HD video).

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
AaronSCH,
Do you know what a full restoration/cleanup of this film would cost?
Do you know how many copies this film has sold of a single release (not the combined total of all releases of this film on SD DVD) previously?
Thanks.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

I agree, Robert. I think many folks just want older movies to look as good as ones filmed a year ago. But "ingrained grain" doesn't bother me. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Aaron, your expectations are just too high. My only complaint about the disc is it's price. Now that's worth harping on. You even got it for a very low price, cheaper than I paid.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I was going to ask him, Rachael, if he wanted it to look better than it did in the theater. :-0
Butt then, I thought MY "expectations" were too high!!! ;-)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
What amazes me is how Universal is, on paper, the only major studio that releases exlusively to HD-DVD.

They're doing a bang-up job of putting out titles I'd actually buy compared to other studios' offerings on either format.

But I still remember Fox "exclusive to DivX" releases. Oh, how "The X-Files" movie on that format taunted me. Then, I ended up buying it twice on DVD, first nonanamorphic, then anamorphic.

Anyway, I like keeping up on the transfers of films I'm interested in, regardless of format since chances are those transfers will hang around for a while no matter what disc I eventually end up buying them on.

I keep telling myself, "Patience!"

It also occurs to me that Universal had a lot of good offerings in the early DVD days, but I think I ended up re-purchasing several due to improved transfers, though some never were re-released anamorphic. Grr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks