What's new

Ark II, Jason of Star Command and others coming from BCI!! (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Tvshowondvd.com have listed BCI's list of upcoming dvd releases for this year and next. And we are going to be getting shows that I never thought would ever be released.

for the rest of 2006...
-Journey Back to Oz
-A Snow White Christmas
-She-Ra, Season 1, vol.1
-Ghostbusters (Live action)
-Ark II (Live Action)
-Mission Magic
-New Adventures of He-Man

For 2007
-Space Academy (live action)
-The Cat Pack
-Zorro & Lone Ranger
-The Legend of Bravestarr
-The Ghostbusters Animated
-Snow White Happily Ever After
-Jason of Star Command (live action)
-Hero High
-Fabulous Funnies
-Bravestarr
-The Secrets of Isis

The whole article can be found here....

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6078

On a side note. A couple of the original cast members came in to do a commentary for the ARK II dvd.

:D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
very much looking forward to Jason and Isis- shame its over a years wait though. But then again, I guess that just gives me something long range to look forward to now.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Ark II, and Jason of Star Command, oh yes!
The Flash Gordon that came out this week was not bad at all...for what it was.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Wow!! Ark II on DVD?? I'd never have guessed in a million years that it would ever be chosen for release. Amazing! Commentaries as well?

*passes out*

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
-She-Ra, Season 1, vol.1
*Buy!*

-Ghostbusters (Live action)
*Buy!*

-Ark II (Live Action)
*Buy!*

-Space Academy (live action)
*Buy!*

-Zorro & Lone Ranger
*Buy!*

-The Legend of Bravestarr
*Buy!*

-Jason of Star Command (live action)
*Buy!*

-The Secrets of Isis
*Buy!*

Shit, I should just send BCI my whole paycheck now.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
For Ark II, BCI should really talk to Fred Barton, who I think built the Robby the Robot copy that was used in one of the Ark II episodes (the one that guest starred Robby the Robot as a robot that was going bezerk). Barton is easy to reach:

http://www.the-robotman.com/

How can I send this suggestion to BCI? You reading this thread, BCI?

I'm reading through his site now and it is not clear is the Robby that appeared on Ark II was the original or Burton's re-creation. It may be the original. In any case Burton is "the" Robby expert and he could certainly say a lot about Robby.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Wow! I had seen Ark II when it originally aired, which was 30 years ago. I was only 6 so I don't remember much, but it was only 15 episodes so I'll bite. I was a mere 9-11 years old when Jason Of Star Command aired, but I remember it well and I'll look forward to getting it. How ironic that the next thing Craig Littler (Jason) appeared in I just recently watched: a 5th season episode of The Dukes Of Hazzard!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I may netflix these to check them out but I'm betting they may make me wince now and definately won't be a show that lives up to memory. I remember seeing Shazam a few years back and I could'nt sit thru it.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Wow, Space Academy, too! For some reason more people remember its revamp/offspring, Jason, more than the original. I seem to remember Jason being quite a step down in quality. One way to find out! SA will be a near-blind (30 years of faded memories-blind, that is) buy.

"Welcome to mankind's most magnificent achievement in the conquest of space. The man-made planetoid, Space Academy, founded in the Star Year 3732..."

(I only remember that because as a kid I would record show opens on audio cassette and play the crap out of those tapes!)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

It was the real Robby who appeared in both Ark II and the following season in Space Academy (and, shortly after that, in Project UFO).

It's probably too late (or getting close) to do supplemental material for Ark II, but the person to send info to would be Andy Mangels, who is basically in charge of the special content of the BCI releases. His website is andymangels.com.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Well, there was an article in STARLOG in the late 70s interviewing the first guy who ever replicated Robby, whom I assume was Fred Barton. The real one was already retired and on display at Movie World (a Hollywood museum) by the early 70s, having been purged in the "great Fox auction" of props and costumes.

Barton took measurements from it to build his. Subsequently it was Barton's Robby that appeared in public and in films/TV, which would include Ark II (which Barton spoke about specifically in the article) and a Charmin commercial.

I didn't know (or remember) about the Space Academy and Project UFO appearances, though! Looking forward to seeing the SA one, at least!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I am seriously buying every release listed.

BCI has answered prayers, and then some. For these shows to be released at all is a miracle, but special features(ansd prbably low price point)to boot?

Thank you BCI. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I was going to make a post about "Jason of Star Command" a few weeks ago...but thought there was no chance at all.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I will be buying pretty much everything BCI releases but something is bothering me about Warner owned properties. Hero High was part of the Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam. Like the live action Isis and Shazam, I have read there are crossovers in some of the Hero High episodes. Will these be included? Also, BCI seems to have a high standard of quality of product. Everything I have seen from them since He-Man has looked beautiful and I expect no less of Hero High, Isis and the rest. Warner implied that both live action and animated Shazam were in a too poor condition to be released without a lot of expense in restoration, an expense that BCI, a much smaller company can apparently afford for similar dated and made materials. I am thinking that Warner might have mishandled the care of their Filmation properties. Would those that own the rights to the bulk of Filmation properties have better survived copies of the Warner owned material?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

You'll have to bug Warner Bros. for that one. They own exclusive rights to it and are in a habit of not licencing things out to third parties, so don't look for a set from BCI/Eclipse. Last I heard, they have no plans for a release right now. Seems to me it'd be in their best interests to try to have a release ready for next summer, to coinicide with Isis. They'd probably get plenty of free cross-promotion/word of mouth from rabid Isis fans, who would also buy the set so they could have her three Shazam guest appearances.

Maybe next year, someone can ask about the show at the annual HTF/WB television chat (if it's not swamped by Charmed questions again).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I'd say the opposite is true, frankly. The Filmation library has gone through many hands over the years, and their next-to-last owner, Hallmark, had an intense distaste for much of the catalogue (particularly the live-action), and since these live-action shows weren't widely syndicated (mostly in other countries), I don't think preservation was high on their list.

At least with Shazam, it has probably been safely stored at WB since the rights reverted back to them i the '70s, and they likely still have the original film prints (which could explain why they say there are 'restoration' issues: since the show was never prepped for syndication, there have never been any video masters made (barring the ones for TV Land), meaning the 1970s film prints would probably have to be cleaned up a bit). This is the one advantage of the other shows: since they got (foreign) syndication in the '90s, they had to be transferred to a modern format a decade or so ago, so they've already been cleaned up to some extent.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I'm going to skip these releases. I have officiallly ran out of storage space! :frowning:
And, kinda sick of andy mangels anyway.
It'd be cool if they could get one of the actresses to do the extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks