What's new

Are we going to get A Few Words About... The Mexican Santa Claus movie? (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The bluray release isn't perfect, but it is light years beyond any previous home video release and likely much better than it looked on original theatrical release.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'd join you, but my son became enraptured with the BD cover and seems to have stashed the disc somewhere. Maybe I'll find iit by New Year's.:)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Did Criterion release the original Mexican version or the dubbed and cut version made for American audiences by four-waller K. Gordon Murray ? I've only seen the K. Gordon Murray version, in theaters when I was a kid in the sixties and recently on a public domain DVD. Of course the Devil runs around in red pajamas, has red horns and a long tale with a pitchfork at the end. I have fondness for the kitschy film. It looks like something Elvis Presley might have cooked up in the kitchen, along with fried banana & peanut butter sandwiches.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Criterion, I wish! With scholarly booklets and a featurette with Wes Anderson about how it changed his life. :) VCI released it...or let it escape.

A color bar pops up 50:00 into the movie! I contacted VCI via their Facebook page and they were impressed that I spotted it! They said to contact their customer service department for a replacement!

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Hush your mouth! Santa's listening! :D On another note, I found out Holland Releasing has a restored version of SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS available that looks really nice...but no plans for retail sales. Only for theatrical exhibition. :( Phooey! http://hollandreleasing.com/index.php?m=0&s=296&id=81

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I had a big Christmas party last night and screened it for the crowd on my ten foot projection system. The stray frame of color bars really wasn't noticeable. But the sharpness and image quality of the bluray was better than it had a right to be. I'm positive this film has never looked better.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
bgart13 said:
Hush your mouth! Santa's listening! :D On another note, I found out Holland Releasing has a restored version of SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS available that looks really nice...but no plans for retail sales. Only for theatrical exhibition. :( Phooey! http://hollandreleasing.com/index.php?m=0&s=296&id=81
Well, it's not restored, but that movie is on blu-ray at least... packaged with Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. Blu-ray version only. Not the DVD version.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
AlexF said:
Well, it's not restored, but that movie is on blu-ray at least... packaged with Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. Blu-ray version only. Not the DVD version.
From what I understand, it's a really poor SD version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks