Are two dipole speakers ok for rears?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan_J_H., Feb 6, 2006.

1. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

My basement home theater is 12'x24'x7' and is still under construction. I am planning on using four KEF Q2ds dipole speakers for my surrounds and rears for a 7.1 setup. After reading a Home Theater magazine article: http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudsp.../25/index.html I think this should be a good setup. I know not everyone likes four dipoles in their setup. I would like to hear any comments on this.

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Its up to your ears and I don't think anyone here will be able to decide for you. Your room will play a big part into it as well too. Some folks love dipoles ( I am one of those) and others hate them but prefer direct radiating speakers in the back. Get what you like and hopefully if you don't like them they will let you take them back for a trade.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I am with Kevin on this. I would use the dipoles for your surrounds and direct for the years in a 7.1 system. If you stay with 5.1 go with the dipoles in the rears.

I am a big fan of dipoles for both music and movies. In fact I run them with my front sound stage too. That is just me though. I like the "fullness" of sound from this configuration.