What's new

Are there Blu-ray replication problems with Blade Runner?! (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Preprdered the HD DVD non-briefcase set from Lasers Edge and it arrived on Monday or Tuesday. I haven't had time to watch it yet...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I ordered the 5-disc non-briefcase BD from the Warner online store in October, with free shipping, and it arrived on release date. Assuming my workprint disc actually contains the workprint, I guess I got lucky. . .

Totally agree about Amazon being great -- that "Super Saver" free shipping doesn't always deliver on release date does not equate to poor customer service!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Based on the corresponding thread on AVS, it appears this is more an issue with Canadian copies than US ones. I have been through three US sets trying to put together one without any scratches (yes, I am the reason none of you can find this BD :D), and all three Disc 5 have had the Workprint. Still, it is sound advice to check anything you buy, but especially HDM lately.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Just received the (Blu-Ray) "Blade Runner" 5 Disc Complete Collector's Edition from Amazon.com .

The e-mails that Amazon sent me about this set were very confusing. Yesterday at 2:27 PM I received an "Order Update" e-mail that said the "Blade Runner" (Five disc Complete Collector's Edition) I pre-ordered on August 25, 2007 would not ship as soon as they originally expected.
Then at 4:50 PM I received another e-mail saying the "Blade Runner" set was shipped 'no charge' "Next Day Saver" with tracking # and the set had been charged to my card. (The order was originally placed as free 2 day shipping via Amazon Prime.:confused:)

Confusing that it was, glad I have it!:)

Paul

Ron>E

Grip
Real Name
Ron Lamb
Maybe the Blu-Ray camp is just punishing Warner Brothers for there support of HD-DVD by giving low priority to there disc replication?

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin

Doug, I'm Amazon Prime as well. My HD-DVD set (not the Ultimate) shipped Monday and I had it yesterday. Watched the Final Cut last night and started watching Dangerous Days.

Right now I'm not sure what the Blu-Ray problem is. It could very well be unexpected demand, could be retailer stupidity, or it could be replication issues as Ron worried.

I suppose with the format war and the percentage of HD customers to SD customers, we're going to experience some teething pains for a while.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well Amazon promised to ship my HD-DVD set on the 24th, but I just got another email saying they shipped today. Looks like I know what's on the player for New Year's eve.

IIRC one of the supposed "advantages" of HDD over BRD was that it was supposed to be easier to replicate and that they could use modified SD-DVD machines to do so. I wonder if that is what's going on here.

A cynic may think that Warner is so tied to Toshiba that they only decided to sell parallel BRD releases in order to intentionally drag their feet and annoy BRD customers into switching to HDD. Hey what are conspiracy theories good for? :laugh: After all, Lee Harvey Oswald was paid by Lyndon Johnson. :eek:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
my order shipped today.

i never have any complaints about amazon.
i use free shipping and nearly always get items within a few days of street date.

this is the only order i've had trouble with lately.

the cases aren't limited to 2500 as someone mentioned.
i've seen cases at stores and they are number xxxx of around 110,000 or in that area.

Dan M

Second Unit
My HD DVD copy from Amazon is slated to be sent to me after Dec. 25th and I preordered this a good while ago. I usually dont have problems with discs arriving on time from them though. I've always been pleased with them being on time.

However I thought about canceling this and buying it from the local Best Buy but they are charging $34.99 as opposed to $25.15 from Amazon. I guess I can wait until after the 25th. I have other discs to watch until then...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to tell you something that is going to make you angry. Today, I decided to buy the HD DVD version as a Christmas present for a friend and bought it from Amazon earlier today with one day shipping and have received a notice that it shipped and will be here tomorrow.

Crawdaddy

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I would not buy any HD titles from BB as I find them to be to pricy. I have found better deals at Fry's Electronics and buy all my HD titles there. And Fry's usually has a better selection than BB. ;)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Mine shipped from Amazon yesterday. I'm not a Prime customer, and I actually only placed the order a week or so ago.

Doug

Dan M

Second Unit

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

What gives?....maybe I should cancel my preoder and then repurchase it to get here sooner?

I'm not a prime member either

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Robert, you shouldn't have....:laugh:

Don't forget that since WB made some backend changes a few months ago they have been having supply chain problems.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
mike were did you get that number.

someone on dvdtalk said his Canadian set had this number on it.

i would be very surprised if there were only 2500 of these and it is still available at many online sites.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The number is 103000 for the combined briefcase sets (SD, BD, HD).

I ordered on 12/15, got a shipping notice on 12/19 (yesterday) with super saver shipping (via USPS).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My local Future Shop had three of the BD briefcase sets and three of the HD DVD briefcases. I saw a couple of 5 disc HD DVD sets but there were no 5 disc BD sets. I bought one of the BD briefcases and the number on the case was xxxx/2500. I guess that number is a Canadian thing.

Mike.P

Second Unit
I'm just going with what people have reported - There's definitely no way there are 103,000 sets for both BD/HD - Something like 10k each for BD and HD is far more likely, if the Canadian number is strictly that, I won't have my briefcase until Saturday at the earliest to see what my # is.

Just think, a huge release like Pirates sells what, 150-200k? So there definitely aren't going to be 103k of each format of the briefcases; either the numbers are included in the total production run for the US including standard def, or people are checking regular sets and not the HD and Blu sets.

Now this is multi format, and 60 dollar set for one film, and it's entirely reasonable that the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD Ultimate Collection's are extremely limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks