What's new

Are there Blu-ray replication problems with Blade Runner?! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's just it. I don't know.

That's why I'm curious about Ron's reaction to boycott the WB BD product. Is that just based on this one incident (the Blade Runner release)? Or, have there been other examples of this type of problem?

I don't know the history and am looking to find out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got my shipping notice for the BD version this morning at 1 a.m. from Amazon. Pre-ordered for months, of course, but there you go.

I didn't get too upset because I have the HARRY POTTER box to get through, a bunch of other Blu-rays I've gotten as Christmas gifts, and have review copies of other things that are pending.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I order all my HD discs from Amazon at a rate of about 6 or
more titles a month.

Never, ever had a delay to date. Amazon has been perfect in
delivering titles on time (or even a day early).

Initially, I stated I'm not blaming the studio directly because I
have heard that there have been replication delays at Blu-ray plants.
It's also obvious that there have been no replication problems
with HD-DVD as those titles have gotten to distributors on time.

I'm not positive what the problem is with Blade Runner, but it's
certainly not a situation affecting their HD-DVD release.

I'm very concerned about getting titles on time. When given a
choice between owning a title on HD-DVD or Blu-ray, I am going
to pick the format that has a consistent record of not getting delayed
due to production problems.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I certainly "get" wanting to have the titles on time, but if this is a one-time incident...why take the extreme stand of refusing to purchase any more WB BD releases?

Or, have there been other WB BD production delays I haven't heard about? That's where I'm curious.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
But it's not a "boycott" of Warners at all, since he IS buying the product from them.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Your saying HD has had no production problems [cough] combo discs[cough]? Course i guess you could argue they just send them out, or didnt find out til after the fact. Course its your choice to buy what you want, as is mine. But, while i know about replication problems for Blu-ray, i dont think its THAT widespread or they would have delayed the Blu-ray release. I tend to think its the allocation of product. We know many areas didnt even get 1 briefcase, while other areas had many. I could say maybe the Blu-ray sold THAT much better than the HD DVD? But i dont know that, just like i dont know if it had replication problems? I hope i dont sound like an ass. I just dont like the "problems" to sound like a fact, if it isnt so. My problem comes from amazon, who didnt ship what i ordered, but saw fit to lock me in with a "shipping soon" for 3 days after release.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just my own findings, the br case is not to be found anywhere in stock in borders or BB, none are even being shipped to these stores.

i havent been able to check at CC or other stores.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Its not just the BD thats hard to find. Even the 4 disc DVD is going scarce! I show 1 BB store in my area that even has any of those. Everything else is sold, and in only 3 days!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Rick, I bought the last one in Tulsa :frowning:

I gave up on amazon and the like online guys because I just prefer that instant gratification.

None of the locals had this in stock much on either format. Target didn't have any. Walmart didn't have any. FYE didn't have any. I don't know if the ice storm had anything to do with it though.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Rick,

Are you an Amazon Prime member? It seems that Prime members are first in line no matter when it was ordered. I pre-ordered mine on November 2nd. It was scheduled to be delivered on the 20th, but I got it on the 18th.

Doug

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Well, at least it found a good home with another forum member! :)
I am an instant gratification guy myself. I think i need to go buy something to take the edge off. Usually i shrug this sort of thing off with a, i will get it when i get it, no hurry. But this is Blade Runner!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Nope. I always felt i dont do enough business to warrant the cost, and i can usually wait. I do free shipping all the time. This was the first time in years i paid extra for shipping. It didnt help, but the call i made must have. I cannot fault Amazon customer service. They have always been helpful.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Something interesting happened today. Like many, I had not shipped, then shipping soon - both looked very late compared to my shipping estimate. Suddenly, Amazon upgraded me to next day and it will be here today. This is the expected delivery date I've been seeing since late October.

I did nothing to make this happen. As a matter of fact, when I checked my account I could not see the order, even in last 6 months. I had to select 2007 orders, and there it was. Strange, but I'll take it.

I don't have prime, so it looks like Amazon is trying hard in my case. Hopefully, others will have a nice surprise like me.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The most recent season of Smallville was delayed on BD for a few days, but that's probably all anybody knows about. I seem to recall a couple others, but those might be cases where we were speculating that exclusive studios are prioritized ahead of dual-format studios at the replication sites.

Mike.P

Second Unit

Worse customer service than Amazon? I've gone completely amazon-exclusive with the vast majority of my purchases.

No tax, free shipping (or if I want it fast, other options are available), and most of the time the best prices (especially with BOGOs and my additional 10% off for HDM). And if there is a drop in price 30 days later, an adjustment takes them about 30 seconds.

Are you using the same amazon that I am?

My Blade Runner Complete and Ultimate Collection's on Blu-Ray both shipped today (I did super saver shipping).

Seems the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD briefcases are limited to only 2500. Glad I got one to keep locked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks