What's new

Are there any problems putting a laser disc player on top of my T.V. ? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I have a Pioneer CLD 990, and the only place I can set it is on top of my T.V. (also on top of my satelite receiver). It will only be used occassionally (Star Wars, and few others), Pioneer's manual says to not put it on a T.V., is this going to be a problem?

Todd

Jason_H

Second Unit
Well...what kind of TV do you have? I have a Toshiba 56H80 RPTV, which has a big, sturdy cabinet...I have a Pioneer D-704 on top of it without any problems. Placing on top of a little old 19" TV might present problems though. :D

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some problems with putting the LD player atop the TV:
RPTV's with handsome but thin plastic cabinets that gradually warp when heavy things sit atop them, then the mirror goes out of alignment.
Magnetic fields from the LD player (I'm not sure about this LD player) cause problems with dircet view tube color purity and convergence.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Todd, the 990 was a budjet player and is not all that heavy, no problem there. What could be a problem is RF from the player. All LD players create some RF that could cause interference. Location can matter. I used to have a TV that would get interference from LD players if the players were close and to the right of it. All it took to stop the interference was to move the LD player to the left of it...strange...!

All LD players create RF, it's in the original spec's for RF output, even players that don't have an RF output. Remember, it was the RF channel that was harnessed for AC-3 RF output when LD went DD in '95.

As a general rule, it's a good idea to distance LD players from TV's. You might have no problem setting the player on top? No telling? Sounds like you need a bigger, badder rack, maybe? Best wishes!

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
If this helps, I went to a commercial glass place and had a custom piece of glass cut so that it distributed the weight of my center channel (a beefy Boston Acoustics VR-12) on the top of my RPTV.

YMMV - perhaps something you can try if you are concerned aobut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks