What's new

Are there any lightweight DLNA clients out there? (1 Viewer)

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hey,

Not sure this is the right spot for this, but I have a media server which i use to stream media over the network to my Sony PS3. I use it often for video, but also for audio. However, I find it rather wasteful to run the PS3 and my TV just to listen to music. My receiver is an older Yamaha RX-V2200 which does not support any form of networking. I'm wondering if there's some tiny little DNLA device with it's own built in screen that I could use to stream just audio and not have to fire up the PS3 and TV.

In an idea world, Microsoft's Zune, with it's built in wifi capabilities, would be a great device for such a task, but as far as I can tell it can't act as a DLNA client. But is there anything else out there that can?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If I want to play music in my HT, I connect my ipod to the aux in jacks on the front of my receiver (Yamaha RX-V995) with a 2.5mm - stereo RCA cable. I'm not set up in my HT for wifi so that's my only option.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Does it have to be DNLA? The "gold standard" for streaming music from a server to the hifi system would be the Squeezebox boxes, from what used to be Slim devices but nowadays is Logitech - at http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/

That presupposes that you can install the server software on your media server (ie, it has to run Windows, Linux or some other OS that allows you to install stuff on it.)

Brillant stuff, works like a charm, if that criteria is met - the boxes themselves are kind of stupid, they talk to the server over the network. In fact, you can install the server software for free and run a software emulator on your PC to see how it all works before you pay one dime for the hardware.

JPcommanderLTD

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I have a similar DLNA setup with my home theater. My Buffalo NAS media hard drive connects to both my cell phone, laptop and PS3. I find it useful for more video and photographs than music. Although convenient... the fact still remains MP3 format sucks and unfortunately this is the PS3's music medium. You are better off investing in an ipod classic to rip your cds onto .aiff files and an ipod dock for your receiver.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for the tips. I am aware of the iPod approach, I was just trying to avoid that. I'll have to look into the SqueezeBox. I think I've heard of that before but just forgot about it. Thanks.

Btw, one other option for PS3 owners is to get a PSP (or look into using OpenRP) and use the Remote Play feature to control the PS3 without turning on your TV. Still not ideal, but a step in the right direction.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
The SqueezeBox does look good, but not cheap. Also looked at the Sonos ZonePlayer and Roku SoundBridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks