What's new

Are there any DVD recorders with built in OTA HD tuners? (1 Viewer)

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a DVD recorder with a built in OTA HD tuner. Are there any? I am hoping to find one under the $200 mark.

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Let's see. HD tuners start at about, what, $250 basement? Sure, I bet there are loads of ones which also record DVDs for $50 less than that.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I've had a couple shots and beers.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
LOL, I'll forgive you for the sarcasm.

I'll also forgive you for not knowing that there is a ATSC tuner on Amazon for $170.

I am just looking for a DVD recorder with a HD tuner. It doesn't have to be under $200, but that would be nice.

I looked around for a recorder on the net awhile. I didn't find anything, so I thought I would post here for a quick answer from someone who was in the know.

Anybody else?

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
This is the cheapest (and only) current ATSC/QAM tuner available (AFAIK);
http://epvision.com/
They will have a new version by the end of the year available with a NTSC tuner. Current model doesn't have one.

Regular DVDs' can't record HD.

Josh Haugo

Grip
I was looking for the same thing. They don't make them yet, but I guess this spring they will start as it will have to be a digital tuner. You can either get a HD DVR or just settle with SD on a DVD recorder. I opted for a toshiba d-r5 with a SD tuner and then planning on getting a HD DVR box from my cable company next spring.

Josh Haugo

Grip
The cost to the manufacturer is much less than $250. You see cheap ass HDTVs with built in HD tuners. I can't imagine a $350 HDTV has a $250 tuner in it.

Misha Scott

Auditioning
This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I've been recording ATSC HDTV onto my computer since 2004.

I then use NERO software (version 6) to convert to DVD (720X480) and burn a regular DVD that plays on any set-top DVD player- the results are as good as the best 720x480 content coming out of a studio.

The final disc is not HD, but it's been a great interim solution for me until HD disc burners become comonplace.

Here's the ATSC capture card I have in my PC - this card is very, very reliable in my experience and I think you can find on-line for about $130, maybe less.

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/

Regards,

Meesh

Nick

Second Unit

I picked up Sony DHG-HDD500 60-Hour High-Definition Digital Video Recorder (500 GB) over a year ago and I absolutely loving it. The picture is just breath taking. It comes with HD tuner built-in with TV guide on screen programming.
I mainly use it for recording off the air channels. It doesn't have A/V input which I don't really need. It comes with HDMI output with dolby digital 5.1

I subscribe to regular cable and this receiver picked up all the HD local channel like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW and PBS. I don't even have to put the antenna up.

If you can get a hand on it, get one. It's a little bit pricy but it's worth every pennie of it trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks