What's new

Are there any 37" 16:9 CRT direct view sets? (1 Viewer)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
8 foot viewing distance? I'd go with a ~57inch RPTV (you pick the technology that matches your tastes, budget, room-lighting).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That's too big. :)

I keep trying to think about how to think about this: For the money I want to spend, and the fact that I still want a really good picture, I am OK with getting a better smaller box than a larger lower quality one. I was at the $1500 level, and I can probably talk myself into $2500 if I knew I was going to have it a while, so that's where the limitations starts to come in.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
OK

Check 6th Avenue Electronics for the Sony KE42-M1, $2,799 with one cent delivery. 42 inch plasma. Rated as high by Consumers Reports as the best HD plasmas selling for $4,500. Even though it is an ED-TV, it had outstanding picture quality on all sources, HD, DVD, SD. And like you said, you will have to plan on keeping it for a long time.

Andre D

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur, plasma is definitely out of the picture. Like I said before, give me a CRT over plasma anytime. The average consumer cares more about a tv being thin rather than the picture quality. What a shame. While I don't mind it being thin, the quality should not be sacrificed. I was reading on CNET that companies will soon be introducing thin CRT's. As long as the picture quality remains the same or better, I can see myself buying one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll be a contrarian, and say that I don't know why anyone would buy a direct-view CRT anymore. I've had a 36" Sony Wega (KV-36HS500) for the past two years and it's a good TV. But I would gladly trade it for a 51" RPTV now.

The price for RPTVs is fantastic, cheaper than a direct-view and offering a much larger screen. They are also much lighter -- my Sony is around 250 lbs and takes at least three guys to move it. It also requires a special stand to support it. Many RPTVs don't require any stand and can be mated with wrap-around entertainment centers.

As for quality, the new RPTVs look great! My Wega looks good, but has imperfect geometry (bowing at the bottom) and imperfect color (slight blue at top-left and slight yellow at bottom left).

Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I'd tell someone looking at a 34" WS direct-view to do themselves a favor and spend less money on a 51" RPTV. :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, the best Plamsas seem even more film like than the best CRT direct views from my expeirences. But each person definetly needs to judge that one for themselves.

I actually have yet to see a sngle CRT direct view come even close to even the less expensive CRT RPTV's when it comes to real HD content. Especially when size is factored in, except of course where off axis viewing is concerned, both Plasma and CRT Direct views take that category hands down.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Good point jack.. I suggest the Sony's!!!!

If money is tight, the one out of the less expensive options he thinks is best of those. Hard to beat the Sony direct view sets these days.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Kevin

Couple years ago I was all excited about the release of the Pro Scan and RCA 38 inch 16:9 sets. Turned out they had design defects in the power supply and both models disappeared pretty quickly. They were large and very heavy. I was real tempted but the reliability problems kept me on the sidelines.

I was using a 35 inch Enhanced Definition tube. I wanted a big screen and was also real tempted by the 40 inch Sony 4:3, but going from a 35 to a 40 was not really going to get me a big screen.

In the end I got a Toshiba 65H84. At 10 feet it looks great on HD and DVD, very good on high quality SD TV and only middling on poor quality SD TV. Mind you, this is at 10 feet.

I think your statement about waiting for another sale on a 34 inch Sony 16:9 about says it for now. However, you might be surprised with a 57 inch CRT RPTV. You will probably forget about 37 inch CRT pretty fast.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind info about other displays. I previously had settled on a 37-42" plasma or LCD, but then got interested in CRTs again when I engaged that "squeezed" 16:9 mode on mine.

Will have to look at that Sony plasma. They do get well reviewed.

RCA Proscan... I had one of their TVs once. Piece of junk. :)

I don't think I want to go any larger than 42" (room setup thing). So that makes any decision a little bit easier. I have looked at Mitusubishi RPTVs before. The 42311 or something. Very popular.

Andre- I've also seen info about "thin" CRTs coming! Later this year I think. Will have to keep an eye out.

matt-f

Second Unit
Toshiba's direct tubes is better than Sony.

Price, performance, warrenty and the return history(s) between the two.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I *partially* agree. :) I think you get a better *value* with Toshiba. Plus, for equivalent sets, the Toshiba set is lighter, and shallower. Those last two were important to me when I got mine.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Arthur- Just got the latest Consumers Reports. That Sony M1 now has me interested. Very reasonably priced, especially for a Sony. (I'm still trying to figure that out! :) I always had the impression that Sonys typically had very good picture quality, but you do have to pay for it.)

I went to my local Frys the other day, and I was really surprised to see that they honestly had 15 42" plasmas on display. 15 just for 42" models! Priced anywhere from $1500 to about $5500. EDTVs and HDTVs. I guess that is a really fat part of the market.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Kevin

Circuit City carries the KE42-M1. I took a brief look and the picture quality was very good. My CC is asking $3150 for the M1. Seems like a winner at 6th Ave for $2799.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sony has lowered the MSRP to $3,500. I would like to know where CR got the KE-42M1 for $2,645. That would seem to be an outstanding price.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
It *did* seem that for how highly rated it was, the price was pretty good. ;) But now I'm going to keep an eye out for it. There are supposedly "thin" CRT type sets coming out later this year, so at least I'm fine tuning what I'm looking for.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I checked around and the $2,645 price must not include shipping. 6th Ave. has lowered its price to $2759. That is the best delivered price I have seen.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Kevin,

Take a look at this Sony 51" if you're willing to look at RP CRT. 51", Built-in ATSC tuner, CableCard, HDMI, etc.

KDP-51WS655

I've seen it at Circuit City for $200 under MSRP. Considering your 8' viewing distance, it looks like a good choice. They also make it in a 57" version. For me, direct view and RP CRT still look better than anything out there.

If you're looking at direct view, take a look at the:

Sony KD-34XBR960

Sony KD-36XS955(within 1" of the 34" on widescreen material and 8" larger on 4:3 content)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks