Are There 2 SACD Versions of "Time Out"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Kontos, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

I have heard people talking about the surround mix of this classic Dave Brubeck album, but all of the copies I have seen say "Stereo" on the liner sleeve. Is this a misprint or is there a newer, remixed version of the album in the new style clear Sony sleeves? I would like the surround version, but I want to be sure I'm buying the right one. Thanks in advance.

Ted

2. Bill Prince

Bill Prince Agent

There are both an SACD stereo version as well as an SACD multichannel version. I have the latter and really enjoy it. I have also read very good reviews of the stereo version as well. Happy listening.

3. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Yes Ted, the multi-channel version only comes in the clear Gold sleeves that Sony now uses for their multi-channel releases. There was a stereo only in the old paper sleeves.

4. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

The multichannel is really not any better then the stereo in fact i prefer the stereo. The surrounds are not really used at all and the center just makes the phantom image more discreet. If i were to buy one i would probably choose the stereo one.

5. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll go with the stereo version.

Ted

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ted, note that both versions of Time Out have a discrete stereo SACD track. The specs. of the SACD format mandate that all SACDs have a discrete stereo SACD track. So, I would spend the extra couple of bucks and get the multi-channel version of Time Out to have both listening options. I've seen the multi-channel version at Tower Records, Best Buy, and Circuit City. Some of the older stereo-only versions linger, but seeing as it is out of print, you should be able to find the multi-channel disc. I have both versions and have not noticed a difference in the stereo tracks between the two.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer