What's new

Are SVS subs THAT good? (1 Viewer)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Hey GUY... I also was an idiot and sold a PB12+2 when the new finishes came out. Got a single ultra and with the two smaller subs I have it is fine. The Ultra catches the low low stuff on the carpet and the other two do great on the mid bass but sometimes I really miss that old pb12+2. So much that I have thought about selling what I have and going back to it... It was a killer...
Mike

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
No. They are blatty, horrible little noise makers and they smell like dead fish if you expose them to direct sunlight.

J/K: What were you expecting to read here? They're excellent subs until you get into the multi-thousand dollar range.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

I beg to differ: there is no "until" here. I would put my dual 20-39 PC+s ($1700) up against anything costing twice that (except an Ultra, of course....:D) And I would take that one further: None of the main stream stores (ie. Best Buy, Circus City, etc.) has anything even close, at any price, IMO.

That is, except the incredible Bose Acoustimass....

(turning to run from the room, as the eggs, pitchforks, knives, and smelly dead fish start to fly)

J/K....:laugh:

BrianTwig

Second Unit

Garrett,

I am not so sure about that. When shopping for components for my new system, exceptional bass was my #1 requirement so I listened to more subs than I can count. I was on a tight budget and sales guy after sales guy at local audio shops said I was in a tough spot because of my budget and I just didn't have the funds for a sub to meet my needs. They would play high dollar subs for me and suggest that I increase my budget or wait until I could, or at a minimum buy two of the cheapers subs (which in reality were still expensive). And even the very expensive subs didn't make me happy or make me rethink my budget and priorities to be able to buy one of them. I had a $3,000 budget for audio equipment and some of the subs they were showing me exceeded this price! I had consigned myself to realizing that I just didn't have the funds to get the skull crushing, make them run in fear bass that I wanted and needed.

I ended up getting the SVS PB12-NSD/2 and let me tell you, it destroyed every other sub I had listened too. Including ones costing 3 and 4 times as much. It surpassed every expectation that I had for it, and truthfully for the first time I was happy with the amount of bass I was getting. I do not have a single complaint, and I truly believe I have one of the best subs on the planet at any price level.

And I wish I could find the link, but during my sub research I ran across a review of a Wilson sub. The sub was $16,000. Then you needed to purchase a crossover for several more thousand, and an amp to run it! So your looking at $20K to be up and running.

The reviewers conclusion: The Wilson is a killer sub for those who have unlimited funds, but even for those with unlimited funds, get an SVS and with the savings, get a couple of them.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Vader,

I would match your challenge as well. I will put my PB12-NSD/2 up against any sub, at any price level, excluding other SVS products.

In fact, the sales guy at one of the audio shops I was shopping at, who tried to get me to basically double my budget to be able to get a bigger subwoofer and said if I didn't I wouldn't be happy has turned down my offer to come over to my house with the big sub he wanted me to buy to compare it to the SVS. I warned him that if he took up the challenge he would be online ordering himself an SVS once he compared them.

What's he afraid of? He had such confidence in his subs when he wanted to sell them to me and bad mouthed the SVS saying their claims were in contradiction to the laws of physics and I should beware of buying a sub with such inflated and unrealistic, if not impossible claims.

If any sales guys in the Raleigh/Durham area who like to push subwoofers costing $2K, $3K, or even $5K or more want to come over for a comparrison test I invite you to contact me. SVS will reign supreme!

On edit: Vader and others, how to I set up a signature line for my posts like you guys have?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

Not only was the +2 able to flap your britches legs it did so with no distortion. . . Even my wife (especially my wife) commented how good that sub sounded and often wanted me to replay whatever bass track that moved her. . . If you guys watch the HBO series "The Wire" there is some wonderful bass at the show's ending where they roll the credits. . . My wife would never let me change until the credits were finished. . . .

Although I'm stuck with a ISD2 right now do not be concerned. . . If you believe everything you read you would think the NSD or better is the only game in town. . . Don't sell the old ISD woofers short. . . They still work mighty well and sound wonderful. . . I am constantly amazed at just how good they do sound. . .

It's too bad that I didn't wait one more week to buy it because by then they were putting the NSD drivers in their ISD subs. I wanted another +2 but they were out of stock and I had to have a sub right that second. . .

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I preordered that new NSD pb12 last night and it's due to ship in sept. I'm chomping at the bit to try it out and hope it completes my home theater.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Brian

I understand your enthusiasm over your PB12-NSD/2. I own an SVS 20-39PCi and it is just dandy.
At the same time, people who work in audio sales can't be expected to do ANYTHING but try to sell what they stock. That is how they make their living. Why on earth would the guy waste his time coming to your abode to hear your SVS? What does that get him?

There was a time I would have done what you have done. Now I understand that trying to interfere with the way those in sales operate is both a waste of time and that I don't want to burn my bridges behind me. Who knows, someday I might actually have a reason to return to that store and buy something.

With all due respect, the phrase, "live and let live" comes to mind. BTW, you are about half my age. It took a lot of experience to get to the point that I can be pleasant, but firm in dealing with the BS that sales people sometimes put out. I really had to contain myself when a car salesman told me that trees were the cause of air pollution. I told him I thought it was the other way around, but I didn't argue with him :) .

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Arthur,

" Why on earth would the guy waste his time coming to your abode to hear your SVS? What does that get him?"

I offered it to him because he continued to bad mouth SVS and questioned my mental abilities because I dared to purchase something he wasn't selling.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Brian

Fine, if you want to antagonize sales people, that is your privilege. The guy doesn't want to hear anything about something he doesn't sell.

If you sold Toyotas and a potential customer came in and said, gee, you got to wake up, Hondas are the cat's meow. Way better than Toyotas, how do you think you would feel? Please remember, that guy puts food on his families table by selling what he can get. He doesn't need someone who isn't going to buy anything from him telling him how great something else is. Try to put yourself in his shoes.

If he wasn't going to get your sale, he at least got your goat. It is just not worth getting upset about. You can smile to yourself and be satisfied that you got the real deal and let it go. Why raise your blood pressure?

mikeGF

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike G
Well I jumped in the deep end and ordered me dual PB12+/2's on Friday. I'm looking to strike terror in my guest viewers. To tell you how much I like SVS subs I'll give you a timeline...

April 2006- Purchased first SVS, a 25-31 PCI NSD
May 2006- Purchased a PB10 ISD
August 2006 purchased DUAL PB12+/2's

I like me some SVS
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Th8ter

Grip
Real Name
Tommy

If I were selling Toyotas I would want to know everything I could about Hondas. I would go visit Honda, SVS or whoever the comp is so that I would have an understanding of their products if I had the chance. But what do I know I have only been in sales for over 20 yrs now.

dustinSkater

Agent
I hope they are good. And guessing they are. My 20-39PC+ just came today at 3:02. And I have to say that it is much bigger than I expected. I knew it was going to be big but not this big, maybe because I have never seen a cylinder sub. But it might actually be too big to place in my room. I know it is wayyyyyy overkill for what I have (11' x 9.5' room). But I'm 16 so it'll last me for a long time. I'm going to have to move a whole lot of stuff around in my room to get it in the corner. Maybe I'll get rid of my bed and just have a chair and sleep on the floor:) My cousin is getting the receiver, dvd player, and the other 5 speakers for me that I think he shipped and am hoping they'll be here within 3-4 days. So once I can hook it up I'll post my thoughts on it.

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sitting here laughing at dustin... in a good way.

That 20-39 PC+ is going to kill that room. Tune it to 16hz, and hold on tight.

Tim

dustinSkater

Agent
Yeah, I really don't know where I'm gonna put it. I might have to put it in my closet but then I don't know how good it'll sound and the doors might fall off. This thing is a lot bigger than I thought. My mom isn't too happy about it and my dad just laughs at it. I don't even think I have an outlet in my room to supply enough power just to the sub, let alone the rest of the system that is to come. Good thing my dad's in construction because he's gonna have to make some power wire adjustments. I really should return it and get something smaller but I don't want to. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Tommy

Kudos, you sound like a great salesman. Unfortunately for Brian, he wasn't dealing with a very good salesman. In my 40 years as an audio consumer, salesfolk such as yourself are the exception rather than the norm. Seems like you have to take your cues from the salesperson. When the person turns on you, you know it is time to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks