What's new

are service plans worth it for LCD Projection (1 Viewer)

DanielH

Auditioning
I am probably going to be gettign a panasonic 50" lcd projection tv and i wanted to know if it was worth it to get a $400 service plan for 4 years. The salesman claims he receives no money if i get it, but insists that i do get it. He said that the bulb will need replacing b4 the 4 years and also the projector will have to be adjusted after it is moved around (shipped). Is this true or should i skip it and do all adjustments myself, thanks in advance

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Daniel:

In my opinion the service plans that include the cost of replacing the bulb are worth getting. If you are going to be watching your TV on a daily basis the likelihood that the bulb will go out in the time period of the service contract is almost a given. With the cost of replacing the bulb at around $400 then you are basically paying for a replacement bulb, service on the unit and labor to go with it.

For a large ticket item like a RPTV I personally believe that a service contract is worth it.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There usually is a limit to the number of dead pixels before warranty kicks in. Having a few here and there are considered to be within factory tolerances.

There are 3 million of them afterall ...

Regards

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Is stuck pixels an issue with LCD projections vs LCD screens like a Sharp LCD tv or LCD computer monitors? I'm not sure what the LCD projectors really have? Is their lcds something that is at a microscopic level like the mirrors on a DLP chip? I don't think it's really the screen that has stuck pixels on a LCD projection, right? Is the cost if one has to replace the LCD "chip" on a lcd projection a large percentage of the set's cost?

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
By the way, the sales monkeys don't get bonuses based on how many PSPs they push, but their managers do. Quite sizeable ones.

Since the managers hold the keys to the sales monkeys' jobs, guess where the pressure comes from. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks