What's new

Are plasmas inherently inferior to LED/LCD for displaying pc desktop text? (1 Viewer)

finny388

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
I use my current lcd tv for HDTV cable and pc desktop/media player via HDMI
I'm looking to replace my current tv and want a plasma as dollar for dollar they have better
  • color accuracy
  • color saturation
  • black levels
  • shadow detail
  • viewing angle
  • picture uniformity
My viewing environment is usually in the dark.
I have tried a Samsung PN51D6900DF (plasma) and another at Bestbuy (some kind of LG).
The text just isn't crisp. It is kind of fuzzy.
I'm aware of plasmas' trait of image retention - that I can deal with. I just don't want to be surfing and have text hard to read.
Is it because of IR prevention (pixel orbiting, etc) that plasmas don't have crisp pixels/text?
I have searched high and low for discussion on this but all I find is talk of IR.
Do any of you use a plasma tv as a desktop pc display? How is it for text, especially compared to an LCD?
Any comments welcome. Thank you

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Frank, great to have you with us. :)
I must admit Ive never hooked my plasma to my HTPC (because of IR) but Im curious, did you experiment with different resolutions on these plasmas you tried?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Once a plasma is outside the 200hr break-in period you can use it on static images as long as it is purposed for regular TV watching for about 15-20 minutes before being shut off.
I use my plasma on Netflix(granted once I've picked the movie, I go full screen), Vimeo, Dailymotion and Youtube all the time.
If you are wanting to sit there and write a 50 page term paper for 7 hours...I wouldn't do that. But a couple of hours surfing the net followed by watching "some TV" and the plasma will be fine.
Just give it a 200hr break in before static images(I recommend a movie you put in constant loop for 8-9 days). Yes, you can watch TV during the break in, but leave it on so the first 200 goes by in a hurry.

finny388

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
Thanks Ty, good question, I had it set to 1920x1080. I always want to adhere to the the TV's (or any display's) native resolution.
Sam, is there any fine text (relatively small - like this site or any other) for you to comment on? Youtube comments maybe?
Sounds like I am in a small minority of using my TV as PC in addition to gaming, cable, etc (and wanting plasma)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No there isn't "fine print". It is a matter if fact with plasma. They have a break in period. Buy one and set up a time for them to come "calibrate it"...
First thing they'll say is...
"We'll do it in X number of weeks to get the set past its break in".
Then, you can say, "I plan on leaving it on for 9 days for 24hrs."
"Ok, then we can set up your calibration for 10 days after delivery."

Maxwell Powers

Auditioning
Real Name
max
I always find it tough to pick a new TV with all the different technologies out there. Vizio seems to be a pretty good brand in my opinion. There not real costly but you get a lot of tv for your buck. I actually just got 3 of them to replace the TVs around my house. Remember to always check reviews on tvs at places like www.tvrevs.com and see what others have experienced with the TV your looking to get. Just my opinion.

finny388

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
So, my question stands.
After proper break in, do plasmas have a hard time showing crisp pc desktop text the way LCDs do?
Primary example: web browsing
Or: Is anyone out there using a plasma part or full time with a PC that can speak of their experience?
(Sam, I'm not sure if you meant there's no "fine print" in the things you use/do or the fine (by that I mean small) print is poor and that's "just a fact with plasma". also thanks for the tips on break-in)
And if this is true, what is it about plasma that inhibits it?
thx

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no answer to your question. A 65" display will not look as good as a 19". You will probably have to sit closer to "surf the web" than you will to watch a movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I reached out to HTPC owners to gauge what they are using. Hopefully they will answer in this thread.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I stayed out of it initially because "surfing the web" on anything larger than 40" is painful. I have an Acer Revo that I use on a 50" plasma and a 110"-ish image from a JVC. I wouldn't dare surf the web at either size image. It isn't the technology of the display. It is the size of the display.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
finny388 said:
So, my question stands. After proper break in, do plasmas have a hard time showing crisp pc desktop text the way LCDs do? Primary example: web browsing Or: Is anyone out there using a plasma part or full time with a PC that can speak of their experience? (Sam, I'm not sure if you meant there's no "fine print" in the things you use/do or the fine (by that I mean small) print is poor and that's "just a fact with plasma". also thanks for the tips on break-in) And if this is true, what is it about plasma that inhibits it? thx
I have my 65 inch plasma connected to an HTPC. The picture quality at 1920 x 1080p is excellent. I could certainly use the plasma to surf the web. However, I don't. It simply isn't practical. Instead, I use the display to watch movies on my hard drives.

finny388

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
RobertR said:
I have my 65 inch plasma connected to an HTPC. The picture quality at 1920 x 1080p is excellent. I could certainly use the plasma to surf the web. However, I don't. It simply isn't practical. Instead, I use the display to watch movies on my hard drives.
Thanks As sole user of the TV I find it most convenient and comfortable to do computing from the couch.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll throw this out there. I've never tried to change the "font size" when using my 42" and larger screens. I'm guessing that would make a difference. I personally think the main problem with using a screen from across the room is a bad idea. My seating distance in my theater on a 110"-ish(depends on ratio) is 9 feet(I sit at "twice the height" of a 2.40:1 image). When I go back to Hulu/Netflix(etc) main screen to pick something else...I have to walk up to around 6 feet to see what I'm doing. I think that is the major drawback. The seating distance for "surfing the web" is different than "watching videos". I'm not the only one. I'll have a room full of people and "everybody" need to get closer to the screen to "see the web surf" but as soon as a video plays...you can see it from across the room.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a Mac Mini attached to my Panasonic plasma. Text is crisp and clean as long as the computer is outputting at the display's native resolution. As far as size of text and web browsing, I use Firefox and have the NoSquint plugin to set a global zoom level at 200%. Seated at about 9 feet from a 50" display, that makes things pretty comfortable for reading text and browsing websites. That said, if I'm going to do any extended web browsing or computing work (e.g. writing), I still prefer to use my desktop computer.

finny388

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
Thanks Sam, that is very interesting. Given a 110" diag of 16:9 at 9 feet you have an incredible viewing angle of 47.9 degrees as calculated at http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html Is that a projector? I currently use a 32" Samsung LN32A450 LCD (720p) at 6 feet for a viewing angle of 21.9 degrees with the same calculator. I have no trouble reading anything with default fonts for everyday computing - it looks like a monitor on a desk, just bigger and further. With the new TV, I'll be sitting 8 feet away. By increasing pixel density going to1080, then increasing pixel size with a larger screen, I don't see why I can't achieve this again at 8 feet. Just a little bigger and further Increasing display size should be the equivalent of sitting closer from a viewer's perspective. I'm curious about how your JVC ~110" is set up.

finny388

Auditioning
Real Name
frank
Thanks Cameron, that is encouraging. You're the first person to vouch for seeing clear text on a plasma even if it is with a nosquint addon. How far away are you sitting? What model of TV is that? Thanks all. It's a amazing how many HTPC setup guides there are out there but don't mention what type of display to use and if they do it's LED/LCD because of plasma image retention if a reason is given at all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've never heard of "nosquint"...didn't know such a thing existed...I might look into it for my office system. It sucks when I run a computer based diagram and I have to spin my laptop for the client. Be much simpler to send it over to the plasma(now another reason to set up WiDi)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks