What's new

Are Macs better at desktop publishing and video editing?? (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Mike - for some time the Mac and PC versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, etc have been virtually identical. The tools, interface, etc is almost exactly the same. (I say almost because the OS does introduce a few differences, but none that affect the performance of the program.)

At work, our publications group used to be completely Mac-based but they switched to PC a few years ago. As the programs were identical and the PCs were much less expensive for equivalent or greater speed it made sense to switch.

As far as video editing is concerned, it is true that FCP is only available on the Mac (huge shock there), but the pre-eminent high end film and broadcast system is an Avid (Media Composer or Symphony) and they run identically on both platforms. (Well... actually most finishing editors and colorists I talk to prefer to run Avid Symphony on the PC as the performance and stability is better.)

I used to be a 100% Mac-based video editor, but I've switched almost completely over to PC. I still edit on occasion on a Mac-based Avid (if that's what the edit bay has), but if I had my choice, I'd pick the PC-based Avid any day of the week.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks