What's new

Are colored Wavebirds on the horizon? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard a thing about colored Wavebirds, but I haven't been paying attention, either. Any chance of colored Wavebirds in the next few months? (U.S. or imports)

-Dave

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Nintendo has said they will "consider" it if the current model sells well enough. I don't know what they mean by "well enough" but I think it's sold pretty well. But AFAIK no colored WBs are slated for definite release anywhere in the world right now.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Nuts. I was hoping for an indigo controller. Yes, it's being really picky, but I hate it when the controller doesn't match the console. :)
-Dave

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Don't lose hope, I'm sure Nintendo will do them someday, they're just not on the schedule right now.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I bet they will be announced on Friday, since I plan to pick one up tomorrow. ;)
-Dave

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Makes you wonder why Sony and MS can't do the same thing for their consoles. The Wavebird is the best controller ever created for a home console, IMHO.

There is a wireless controller coming out for Xbox, but it's made by Mad Catz (strike 1), it costs $60 (strike 2), and it uses a built-in rechargable battery and comes with a docking station (strike 3; I prefer the long battery life and low maintenance the Wavebird offers with regular alkalines).

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The current crop of wireless controllers for the PS2 are rather crappy, but Logitech has been working on theirs for awhile now, and it looks like it's finally going to come out in September. Check it out at Link Removed Looks like a nice controller.
About ready to buy my 3rd Wavebird, thanks to Nintendo's Super Mario Sunshine bundle promotion.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Does the Wavebird have a built in rumble feature, or any way to add on a rumble feature? I ask because I have grown very accustomed to it and feel it's a shame for a controller to lack this feature.

Thanks

~j

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Logitech's got a similar model coming for the xbox as well.

What freq does the wavebird use here in the US? does it use something different in Japan (most stuff does that is wireless)

I've got the Madcatz wireless PS2 controllers and they are ok but kind of crappy. I like the feel of them (bigger than regular Dual shocks) and wireless does rule (puppy can't chew on them while playing) but I find I need to make sure the controller is pointed AT the PS2 while playing.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I'd love to see colored wavebirds, as well as wavebirds with rumble. Screw the battery drain...that's why I use rechargables! That said, I've found I don't really miss the rumble feature all that much.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Quoth the Joseph:

Joseph: the Wavebird lacks a built-in rumble feature. It does this to save batteries -- I actually don't miss it much. Considering everything you DO get with the WaveBird, it seems somewhat foolish to discount this controller for lack of that one feature.

It's probably the only thing that's NOT good about the controller -- I love mine.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The wavebird also doesn't have rumble because the wavebird controller only knows how to send signals, not recieve them. Inorder to add Rumble to the controller, they'd need to re-engineer the receiver on the gamecube as well as the controller.

I really don't miss the rumble much. Most games never really used it for anything important anyway. Not having wires is much more beneficial to me.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Thanks for clearing that up. Well, all I can say is, at least the reasons for no rumble pak make total sense from a practical and engineering standpoint. The whole idea of a wireless controller with such freedom and flexibility is almost too good to be true!

~j

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Makes you wonder why Sony and MS can't do the same thing for their consoles. The Wavebird is the best controller ever created for a home console, IMHO
Except for the inherent crappyness of the NGC's pad design IMO

Best controllers ever: Sega Genesis 6-button, close runner up Sega Saturn (Japan/ US 2nd)

Nothing has ever topped those for a solid rockered D-pad and button placement.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I also wondered why nobody else has a good wireless. Does Nintendo have some sort of patented technology in theirs?

I also want colours. Just so you can tell them apart at a glance. I'm sure they're selling well. Almost everybody here has one. Even the notoriously cheap me. Ok, it was a gift, but I was considering it.

jeremy

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
It's just a basic RF receiver/transmitter. There's nothing particularly fancy about it which makes it all the more remarkable nobody else came up with it first (okay, I'm sure somebody did).

I like the WaveBird design better than the regular GCN pad since it doesn't have the large "gap" in the middle. I don't like the rumble feature much anyway and the batteries last so long (I'm still on the set that came with the controller) that it is now my default controller.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Ok, it was a gift, but I was considering it.
Lol :)
I did pick one up this week, so I expect to hear an announcement for colored ones this week. :P While I miss the rumble option (a significant loss, IMO), the added weight gives the controller a solid & sturdy feel that the standard controller lacks. Now if there was just an easy user mod for that pinky-sized d-pad...
I hope Sony & Microsoft get a case of copycat-itis and make some wireless controllers as well.
-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks