Are Better cables worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Antonio_B, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

Right now i have a pretty good audio/video system but i would like to have even better quality.

So do you think by upgrading a few of my audio cables would give me better sound.

For example,i am using gauge-12 wires for the speakers,if i go with gauge-14,will it give me a clearer sound?

I was thinking of changing also that audio cable that connect my DVD player to the receiver.What do you think?

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

No, a 12 guage speaker wire is larger than a 14 so you'll be going in the wrong direction, regardless it will not affect the sound quality at all. As far as the audio cable from the DVD to receiver, same thing. The best thing you can do is calibrate your system.

3. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

oh i see,ok thanks for the answer.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Speaker wire will have the single least effect on your overall sound. Analog interconnects can have an influence on the sound, but if you are looking for big improvements, the speakers, sources and receiver are where your biggest improvements lie.

5. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Lots of folks here may believe the real title of your thread should have been "Are more expensive cables worth it?". Dicey subject that has been argued to death. It is always good to have high quality, solidly constructed inter-connects. This means not the flimsy stuff that came with your kids' cheapo DVD player. But going overboard with high-priced "magic wire" is a doubtful proposition.