What's new

Are all RPTVs like this? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
So far, in any store I've been in, all of the RPTVs I've seen, while having good picture and all, I notice up close a lot of "ghost" images.. especially with text. Like, I see text on a screen, like in opening credits or whatever, and behind it and off to the side, you see a faint image of the text too.. also a lot of times when there's a scene where it's something dark right against something bright, along the edge of whatever shape it is I can see a bright outline. I dunno if it's stores using composite connections.. or just TVs not calibrated right.. or what.. Even some of the best tvs I've seen have a great picture, then when I finally notice this little thing it really bugs me. Is it just the stores using composite connections? Or not calibrating right (or at all)? It seems RPTVs don't have as good of a picture up close, but far away they're OK.. but, I like to be close :) But I also want a bigger screen :frowning: What I'm hoping for is a 50" widescreen at minimum. Are there any TVs I can consider that will be around that size (give or take a few) and give me a GREAT picture weather I'm up close or far away?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
also a lot of times when there's a scene where it's something dark right against something bright, along the edge of whatever shape it is I can see a bright outline.
This can be a result of the "sharpness" setting being too high, SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation -- a "feature" that should always be defeated) not being disabled, or excessive Edge Enhancement being applied to the video transfer on the DVD.
Poor convergence could also result in faint outlines and overall fuzziness. With a really good DVD transfer and a well-setup TV you should not see any of this. Unfortunately, the TVs in stores will rarely qualify as good setups -- ironic in that they're trying to sell them based on their appearance.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Always wondered what Edge Enhancement was :)
OK, so now I'm even more worried. All I have right now is a 27" panasonic TV and it has a great picture, but I want something bigger and better and widescreen, I figure I can spend $4000 on a regular HDTV (like the new widescreen Wega) or get a bigger and nicer RPTV. So now, if I do, how many of my DVDs are going to look terrible now, and what about new DVDs that aren't even out yet :frowning: Is Edge Enhancement really that bad?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The ghost image is caused by something electronic, not inherent to rear projecction.
It is hard to say where the problem is, it could be inferior cables, or even prerecorded in the source material (due to inferior electronics in its production) piped into the TV sets in the store.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
how many of my DVDs are going to look terrible now, and what about new DVDs that aren't even out yet Is Edge Enhancement really that bad?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Yes, some DVDs sadly have too much EE that really bothers some people but not others. It's not usually that they look "terrible", and many DVDs don't suffer from this problem. You won't regret getting a nice RPTV if you calibrate it well. A big improvement over a 27" direct-view IMO.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Edge enhancement is bad for the most part--though it's less noticeable on a smaller direct-view set. Of note, the Sony WEGA direct-view sets allow one to disable SVM from the user menus, whereas in most cases it's defeatable only from the service menu (if then). You really notice how obnoxious edge enhancement can be on RPTVs.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I recently disabled the SVM on my Sony 61" RPTV and the improvement cannot be stated enough. The ringing I was getting was so severe and distracting that I seriously thought there was something wrong with my TV. So, SVM may be part of the problem of what you were seeing. (For the life of me, I don't know why Sony didn't inform the buyer of SVM and give the option of turning it off on this TV from the menu.)

I would say another part of the problem is convergence. Most RPTV's could use at least some convergence tweaking.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Ok thanks for all the info :) I should be ready to buy in a couple months.. could anyone recomend some decent sets to check out, in the less than 50" widescreen range? Also I want one that's HDTV ready so I don't have to buy a whole new TV in a few years :)
One guy at my local tweeter swears by Sony, saying you really can't go wrong with any Sony TV.. but what about some of the other brands like Pioneer Elite, Mitsubishi, etc?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I dont have either one of these, but I hear the 47" Panasonic and Toshibas are very good sets for the money. I have heard good things from members about these. Seriously consider an ISF calibration for whatever set you get.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
To check out a set in a store, here's what you would have to do. Sadly, practically no store would do this:

1. Connect it to a progressive-scan DVD player with component cables.

2. Lower the light to 10% of the average screen brightness and make sure there's no reflection on the screen.

3. Calibrate the brightness, contrast, etc. with AVIA or VE.

4. Play a DVD you're familiar with.

With the way TVs are shown in the stores I've seen, no evaluation is possible. Or, to say it differently, one can certainly make comparisons, but they are probably faulty.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I do know of a store that would do all of that, but sadly they're a very high end place that seems to specialize now in plasmas and projectors and custom installs :frowning: but maybe when I am finally ready to buy I will check them out there and see what they have :)

David Ki

Agent
To check out a set in a store, here's what you would have to do. Sadly, practically no store would do this:

1. Connect it to a progressive-scan DVD player with component cables.

2. Lower the light to 10% of the average screen brightness and make sure there's no reflection on the screen.

3. Calibrate the brightness, contrast, etc. with AVIA or VE.

4. Play a DVD you're familiar with.

With the way TVs are shown in the stores I've seen, no evaluation is possible. Or, to say it differently, one can certainly make comparisons, but they are probably faulty.

This is funny, I was looking at TVs yesterday from a local dealer and was surprised to see a dvd player hooked up to a widescreen tv. So I turned it on and pressed play. You wouldn't believe it but they had the old non-anamorphic version of X-files in the player. What a way to show off widescreen Tvs.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
Also be sure to look at a 480i (cable feed or Non progressive scan signal)to check out the TVs internal line doubler. This is must IMO do not buy a HDTV without looking at 480i signal. Most HDTVs show thier true colors(no pun) when displaying 480i.

Jonathan Moore-Wright

Auditioning
they had the old non-anamorphic version of X-files in the player
I was in a shop a couple of weeks ago. Sales guy was showing a widescreen RPTV to a family. There were cables strung across the floor from the TV to a DVD, so I assumed that's what he was showing.
Anyways, the image was both windowboxed and letterboxed.:frowning:
Oof!
-jmw

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks