What's new

Are all Bose speakers bad? (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
I have read reports and tests about Bose sub/sats being made cheaply and being over priced for what you get. But what about their bookshelf and floorstanding speakers? I have a brother-in-law that is convinced that Bose is the ultimate. He doesn't own any bose and has just been sucked up by their marketing scheme. He wants to buy some new bookshelf speakers and I want to able to show him the same facts from testing that has been done to show that their sub/sats are no good would still apply to their other speakers also. Help me save another from the Bose Black Hole!!!!

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
My parents were the same way. Your brother is obviously a complete audo newbie, therefore it might make it hard to show him a stat sheet that shows how Bose can't compare to "real" speakers.

When you tell him he can get much better for less money does he just ignore you or does he say "okay, show me what I can get". If so, you might take him on a trip to some audio stores. In fact how about taking him to some place where the salesman will talk up Bose then you can publically humiliate the salesman in front of your brother...

- Cryo

JamesCB

Second Unit
Damn, I HATE Bose. They sue everybody for the stupidest reasons. They once tried to sue Thiel loudspeaker company for using the ".1" on their models, because Bose used the ".1" on some of their models. Needless to say Bose lost that suit. So stupid.

I understand there is a brand of condoms called "Lifestyle". Wonder how Bose will find a way to sue them?

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
I used to be a BOSE owner, my first pair were the series II 301's, and I thought they were great. But, I wanted more, so I stepped up to the Acoustamass 7 with model 100's for rear surrounds, and again, I thought that I had a great system and it was all I ever would need. Then I moved, and right across the steet from my new apartment was a real HiFi store. So I went and checked out what they had. I was soon captivated by the sounds produced by the likes of Paradigm, B&W, and Martin Logan. Shortly after that day, after realizing the amount of money I had wasted on total crap, a well of hatred started to boil deep within me, hatred for BOSE and their deceptive marketing. Well, I am no longer an ignorant consumer, and while I feel BOSE's bookshelf and towers do sound better than the sat/sub's, that still means that they are sub par in performance for their price range, and thats putting it very nicely. Things like this stupid lawsuit against CEDIA fuel my hatred for BOSE, what the hell are they thinking? As far as I am concerned, BOSE deserves to go out of business, the day that happens(wishful thinking) I am throwing a party, and you are all invited.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The way to convince someone is not to be all up in their face about how "bose sucks," but just to be polite and inform them that there are better brands out there, and suggest, or take them to go listen either at your place, or at a dealer.

I always like to recommend paradigm, because it's a great started brand, and handily beats Bose, but isn't way more expensive, and is often MUCH better, and MUCh cheaper. Then go listen to as much else as you can, and it becomes painfully obvious that if you put SOUND first, bose is easily beat.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Thanks Chris.

I have seen a couple of these reports before but didn't know where to look to get them. I am assuming that Bose cuts the same corners with their bookshelf and floorstanders also. I have heard the Bose 301 bookshelf at BB and it didn't sound half bad, but in the usual Bose way of marketing, I couldn't do a side by side comparison with anything else that BB carried. I looked on the Bose web site to get some more info. and found no spec's at all. No freq range. no power handling, nothing. Typical Bose.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I don't even try to "school" anyone anymore... The Bose
marketing machine is too strong and Herbie Hankock is just
too good a salesman to pull people back from the brink.

So I tell them my opinion, Bose Sucks. They go out and buy
the garbage anyway and then I invite them over to compare.

Nothing like rubbing it in their face.

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
No, I think BOSE actually believes that they make a quality product that is worth every cent, whereas Nuance seems to be completely aware that they are screwing people over.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Does anyone have a "Bose Buster" or "Bose Sucks" or "Friends don't let friends buy Bose" avatar they can share? :)

GeorgeJM

Agent
I like some of their direct/reflecting stuff... 701s or something like that. Still overpriced, but it sounded pretty good, except the highs seemed rolled off. Not for people who like bright tweeters.

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
It has been my long held belief that Bose's "Direct/Reflecting Technology" was initially hyped and utilized in order to solve the weak dispersion characteristics of a 2.5 inch or larger Conventional paper tweeter.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if they are all bad, but I do know they are all way overpriced.No highs no lows must be Bose

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
My theory is that "Dr" Bose realized that your average person dosen't have a clue what good sound is, they just want a large soundstage in a small package. Hence the direct reflecting "technology" and cubes. Accuracy and quality are meaningless, that's what marketing is for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks