ARC Help Needed- SBEV40-Slim Soundbar & Sharp LC60LE847U

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SportsME23, Aug 8, 2012.

1. SportsME23

SportsME23 Auditioning

Hi I have a sharp LC60LE847U LED TV. I wanted a soundbar with inputs and purchased CNET's top recommendation, the Haier SBEV40-Slim soundbar.
    Anyway I need the optical audio input on the soundbar for Apple TV, so I need to connect the TV audio to the soundbar using the HDMI input w/ Audio Return Channel (ARC). My other devices are hooked up through the tv.
    I'm not getting any sound through the soundbar, which is hooked up to HDMI 1 w/ ARC label. The cable box for example is hooked up on HDMI 3. So while on HDMI input 3, how can I get sound through the soundbar??? Any ideas?
    The easy solution is to hook up optical audio, but I need the Apple TV to go directly to the soundbars only input for that, so I can listen to music with a game on or while playing Xbox.
    Truly appreciate your help, thank you!!!

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    In order for ARC to work, both the TV and the sound bar need to support ARC. A quick scan through the manual for the soundbar makes no mention of it supporting ARC.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    You could always buy one of these...
    http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344526902&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+switch+optical
    I don't know if that one spits out 5.1 via the optical and digital coax. But when you research these...you will find that out.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Haier TV and window AC aren't bad(actually the wAC are quite good)...
    The rest of their stuff...meh...
    And a CNet review???
    Ever since they fired a reviewer for giving a "sight sponsor" a bad review...