What's new

Aragon Amps - Some Questions (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I've done a lot of reading in this forum and the general consensus seems to be that Aragon's amps are excellent and perhaps a very good buy right now because they're being discontinued and can be purchased for a great price. My sense is that these amps are a true high-class product. I've noticed that there is some affiliation between a guy who is now affiliated with Krell, so they come with a good pedigree.
After doing a search on this forum and reading many Aragon-related posts, I still have some questions:
1. They're being discontinued, and I understand it's very important to match amps. I run a 5.1 system now but will be moving to 7.1 in the near future (maybe in a few months). Should I buy 7 channels of Aragon amp now to cover myself? If I buy a 5-channel Aragon amp now, and later on want to add an Aragon 2-channel amp but can't find one, what comparable amp can I add to my system?
2. Assume for a moment I buy the 8008x5 and want to also buy an Aragon 2-channel amp for 7.1. Which 2-channel model is the best match?
3. From HTF posts, my sense is that this is a very musical amp. How does it perform for home theater? Does it contain enough "slam" and is it very dynamic to do as good a job in HT as it apparently does with music?
4. What should I expect to pay for these amps if I buy them brand new? Used? (2, 3 and 5 channel amps)? I'm not averse to using eBay, Audiogon, UBid, etc. if that is how to get the best price.
5. I've read some posts where some have called Aragon amps bright, and others have refuted that, saying they're very "accurate" and "honest", meaning that they correctly reflect the qualities of the source recording. I've also read some of these same qualities about Monitor Audio Gold Reference speakers (another upgrade I'm considering). Can someone comment on the combination of Aragon amps and any very revealing speaker? Will this be a good match or is this "too much honesty"? I'm not averse to very revealing equipment as it should bring out the best in the best sources? Assume a good processor is being used, too (Lexicon, Anthem, Outlaw, etc.).
6. Another amp line that interests me is Parasound (HCA-2205a). From what I've read, many people would choose the Aragon over the Parasound if given the choice. Are there any other amps in the Aragon's price range that are as good?
Since I am starting from scratch on amps and don't own any right now, is buying Aragon my best move, are should I save some money and buy a Parasound or something else?

Dave N.

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

After doing a search on this forum and reading many Aragon-related posts, I still have some questions:

1. They're being discontinued, and I understand it's very important to match amps. I run a 5.1 system now but will be moving to 7.1 in the near future (maybe in a few months). Should I buy 7 channels of Aragon amp now to cover myself? If I buy a 5-channel Aragon amp now, and later on want to add an Aragon 2-channel amp but can't find one, what comparable amp can I add to my system?

I was in a similar position a few months ago but I planned on a possible 6.1 system. The 8008x5 is an absolutely huge amp. It was too deep for my custom rack and I didn't want to have a major carpentry project.

I went with an 8008BB and 8008x3BB. The 8008BB takes care of the front L/R. The 8008x3 handles the center and rear channels. This allows max. power availability for the most used channels. For the rear center channel I will probably use a non-matching amp. While not ideal,I don't suspect that it will make too much of a difference for fill in sound.

3. From HTF posts, my sense is that this is a very musical amp. How does it perform for home theater? Does it contain enough "slam" and is it very dynamic to do as good a job in HT as it apparently does with music

These amps are excellent for HT. Have you read the Secrets of High Fidelity and HT reviews of the 8008BB and 8008x3. The power capacity of these amps is a real plus. They are also stable to 2 ohms and can drive anything.

Prices $1500 new for either of the amps I have. The 8008x5 can truly double as a boat anchor. Depending on your speakers and their sensitivity one 8008x5 plus a second 2 channel Aragon would probably do the trick. I haven't heard anyone complain about Aragon amps.

Good Luck,

Dave

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
The Aragon line is not being discontinued, just the current models. Other than the 3-channel amps (which are being discontinued) it looks like there isn't too much difference between the old and the new (yeah, the power ratings on some are different, but I've got this gut feel that it is Klipsch marketing that is making them use less conservative ratings, rather than much of a change in the amps themselves) and that the new models are literally just face-lifts of the old ones. The new faces, with the blue LEDs are cool looking though.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to find future Aragon amps to match whatever you buy today. Even if for some reason, Klipsch completely killed the Mondial division, there will be amps on the used market for the forseeable future.

As for the best price, so far it looks like ubid and a lot of patience. They are trickling out through ubid, sometimes with crazy prices both high and low (on the high side, they've got a pair of palladiums that they seem to want almost retail for right now) and on the low side have been a number of other lots for other models.

About 7-8 months ago, Klipsch did kill the Acurus line (but it looks like they've just rebadged them as the bottom-end of the new Aragon line-up) and good deals were available through ubid and other retrailers and e-tailers, but so far I've only seen good prices on the Aragons at ubid, nowhere else. There have been a few ubid Aragons ending up on ebay with a %30 markup from the ubid price...

And, at these prices of 50% or more off of MSRP, the Aragon is a clear winner over anything in the same selling-price range. If you were paying closer to MSRP like you would in an other than clearance situation, then there would be plenty of competition.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well depending on what you want to spend and your priorities, i'd say save some $$$ and buy an aragon 8008bb for your front channels and an acurus 200five for the remaining 5 channels. the 8008bb sells used for anywhere between $1200-$1500 though $1500 is the norm. the acurus 200five sells for $900-$1000. both aragon and acurus are made by mondial so they have very similar sounds and i don't think you'd be disappointed with the above recommendations. good luck.

kevin t

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I purchased an Aragon 8008x3 a couple weeks ago to power my NHT 2.5/AC1 across the front. I previously was using a Carver 705x which I thought was a reasonably good amp and so do many reviewers

Nonetheless, the Aragon is DECISIVELY better in every way. More detail, more air, more bass and more clearly defined bass. I highly recommend it.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Bob_L, any problems with brightness between the NHT/Aragon combo? I was considering some speakers such as Monitor Audio Gold Ref. that also have been labeled "bright", "analytical", etc.
I want a very accurate system in theory, but want it to be very pleasing to listen to at the same time.
BTW, if I go with Aragon, I think I'm going to go the the 8008BB and the 8008x3BB rather than the 8008x5. You're right Dave - that thing is a boat anchor!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks