What's new

AR HC6 or Take5.2? (1 Viewer)

MattyK

Auditioning
Hmm. I'm also a little intrigued by your impressions on the mid-range - it makes me wonder about room dynamics (yours or mine :) ). I found the center and LR front timber matching to be superb, to be honest. I was always surprised at how well they did together given that the center was sealed and the sats ported. I'm dead nuts on with you regarding the sub - I'll bet, though, that there is a more optimal (and undoubtedly far less convenient) placement. You'll know it, because you'll be able to boost the crossover to 90-100 and it will still disappear.

Anyhoo, hope you're happy with the purchase! Oh, and I'd give 'em a bit longer to break in - but you probably already know that. Cheers!

MattyK

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fortunately, this room is sort of a den/movie/guest room, not exactly a dedicated HT (though it's kind of turning into that), so the sub can somewhat go anywhere except the front left where the door is. I will have to experiment with placement a bit, but the initial spot was the right front corner of the room about 6" from either wall, facing along the longest straight leg of the room. I may try angling it towards the opposite corner diagonally or across the front of the room, to see if I can dial it in with the x-over at 100, wich the sats seem to be OK with. For now, I don't want to have to run a long sub cable to the opposite end of the room.

My dad will play with them for the week and I will go back and do the calibration, so they should have racked up enough hours by then and I'll try to report back on how they sound after a fair amount of break-in.

I certainly don't expect them to sound as good as my personal HT, which is just over $8K; and if they DID, I'd be looking to sell some stuff off... It is a great little setup (especially for the price). Any negatives are minor, and are more or less common to sub/sat systems of this type. I don't want to sound like I am complaining about them, because I'm happy with them :) I'm just trying to give my observations about them.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
Congratulations on making a great purchase. The HC6 is a very good little system. Regarding the lack of "midrange" is it possible to set the receiver to "no sub" and the L and R speakers to Large, then connect the sub with the two front satellites as if they were a stereo pair? I own an AR sub which allows this to happen and found it a better approach with improved blending of the sub and my sats. Instead of using the receiver's fixed crossover point, I used the sub's variable crossover to better tune the crossover point and create a better "midrange". It doesn't help the localization problem, but I used sub positioning to mitigate this problem. For me, the localization was less of an issue than the lack of "midrange". YMMV.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks. One of the negatives of the sub, as noted, is that there are no speaker level outputs, so I can't use this type of arrangement. If I do decide to upgrade his sub, I will be looking for one that has this capability to see if it helps, but the sats are rated as -3dB at 80Hz. If he wants more performance, I'll pick up a couple of AR bookshelf speakers to fill in that midrange and use one of the sats as a rear center.

95% of all subs out there do not have a variable high-pass, it's normally a fixed passive filter on the speaker outputs, and the x-over adjustment only applies to the low pass for the sub itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks