What's new

Apple: undefeatable!?! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I still think there is room for competition, I think Amazon has a better shot of bringing it than Microsoft or Android, but.... Slate's farhad Manjoo isn't so sure:
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/03/new_ipad_how_apple_s_tablet_strategy_parallels_its_unbeatable_ipod_success_.html
Parallel question: does undefeatable = monopoly?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
it's not a monopoly like cable companies are. There are plenty of phone and tablet choices on the market. I just can't figure out why you would buy someone elses tablet right now. Until they make a tablet with 10 hours of battery life that does what the iPad does, no one will buy it.
It wouldn't surprise me to see some moron congressman try to say that apple has a monopoly on their app store though. What a cluster that would be.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
There are other "App Stores" out there though so even that would push it. I don't think it is undefeatable but no one has found the right combination yet. I'm wondering if the real issue is when you have a 5" or 6" phone do you need a tablet. Maybe the real issue is that Samsung is killing their own tablet market by making such large phones. I know if I had a 5" phone I would have a hard time believing I need a tablet. However, I could be wrong.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by dmiller68 /t/319146/apple-undefeatable#post_3905071
There are other "App Stores" out there though so even that would push it. I don't think it is undefeatable but no one has found the right combination yet. I'm wondering if the real issue is when you have a 5" or 6" phone do you need a tablet. Maybe the real issue is that Samsung is killing their own tablet market by making such large phones. I know if I had a 5" phone I would have a hard time believing I need a tablet. However, I could be wrong.
There are other app stores, for sure.. that's not the argument they'd make.. they'd argue Apple users - who constitute a clear majority owners - are locked into a single store purchasing method by which Apple excercises content control, preventing some applications from meeting the market. In other words: as long as Apple says "we allow X app and not Y app" they open themselves up to say that they create an unfair advantage for certain partners.

I'm not saying I even buy that argument, but I'm saying that's the argument they'll make

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I am still believing Apple will make a way for 'unapproved' apps to get to consumers from some other way than the App store, that's what they are doing for OSX so it's not out of the question....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple's been dominant for...three years?

Kodak, now filing bankruptcy, is almost 125 years old and was the brand-name in photography for about a century. Let's talk about Apple being "undefeatable" when it's been undefeated for even a tenth of that duration.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Regular Buyers Aren’t Fanboys
How is it that people even still think the large, diverse customer base are simply "kool-aid" drinking "fanboys"? It's like saying Camry owners are nothing but Toyota fanboys. It reveals an incredible disconnect between technophiles and regular users.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife has a Camry (before that, Corollas). Will drive nothing else.

Total fangirl.

I, as a Honda Accord driver, see this clearly.

;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There are people who are fanboys and cult followers of Twinkies. It doesn't make everyone who likes twinkies fanbois.

And there are definite fanbois. I spent the morning in an Apple store getting a fix put into an iMac (which, I'm sorry I've now had 4 of these things with bad cap problems.. which is some annoying s---) Anyway, the way some people are.. yes, they are fanbois.. if you're paying 2X the cost of the same item at Amazon online store because you can buy it in an Apple store.. you're a fanboi. :) I looked at the exact same case I have, which I bought through amazon for $29.99, I mean EXACT same, and there it was at Apple store for $64.99. GTFO. If you pay that, you ARE a fanboi :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dude have you been into a bestbuy, FYE or similar store? Most people are sheep and pay whatever the price is for things. Seriously. Go into an FYE, your head will asplode.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Everyone was expecting a flat quarter. It's a blowout instead.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/apple-q2-2012-earnings-report-ipad-iphone-sales/
Let's think about that for a second. The plus up over guidance (3 billion dollars) is bigger than the number of total sales some of the other smart phone makers have TOTAL.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/319146/apple-undefeatable#post_3915334
Dude have you been into a bestbuy, FYE or similar store? Most people are sheep and pay whatever the price is for things. Seriously. Go into an FYE, your head will asplode.

Neh, I have a Microcenter near me. Where I can buy an iPad at $50 less then the Apple Store. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quarterly numbers tonight at 5 est, will probably post around 4:30ish.
I don't expect a blowout but I've been wrong before. They had the retina MBP and new laptop line introduced which makes the diehards happy but it's been just another quarter for iPad and the end of an era quarter for iPhone 4 and 4s as everyone collectively holds their breath (and likely keeps holding for 1 more quarter) for the 6th generation iPhone
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/liveblog-apples-fy2012-q3-earnings-call-today-july-24-at-2pm-pdt/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Horace is right in the middle of the pack. he's been pretty close very often:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/24/all-eyes-on-apples-earnings-estimates-are-sharply-divided/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks