Apple TV and YouTube

Discussion in 'Apple' started by David Rubenstein, Jul 2, 2007.

1. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

I've had Apple TV since it first came out and it's worked great for what we needed it to do (stream music to the family room). It's easy for the kids to use and they love seeing the album artwork on the TV.

Over the weekend, the unit downloaded an update that gave it access to YouTube. While my son (7 years old) and I were playing with it, I quickly became aware that there were no filters and there were clips and language in the descriptions that were inappropriate for him to see.

I've been looking for ways to disable access to YouTube, but the only thing I could find was parental controls for the whole unit.

While in the Apple Store yesterday, I asked someone who worked there about it and they also commented how strange it was that there were no filters for the videos (they became aware during some customer demos).

With movies and TV shows, you can control the upload of content, but now it looks like I'm stuck with adult content I didn't ask for and it will force me to disable use for the family unless there's a parent around.

Any ideas (I couldn't find anything at Apple support)?