Apple Stock Plummet

Discussion in 'Apple' started by mattCR, Jan 24, 2013.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Apparently, you assume that AT&T and Verizon constitute the entire Universe of smartphone use. They don't. In any case, you seem to have backed off from your previous "market share means nothing!" position.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Sure, not the whole, but the vast majority. via wikipedia:
    Assuming 280 million total americans (including kids) that's 2/3rds of american wireless customers or more. You aren't getting what I'm saying or are deliberately being obtuse to try to paint me as a fanboi. The argument is Android is winning because of Market Share. I say Market Share isn't all that important, but even if it is, the two biggest providers seem to indicate that marketshare for Android smartphones isn't the landslide that it has been previously to be. THAT is what is interesting about it. That new nugget of information. Is it a trend? Is it a fluke? In between those two possibilities somewhere is reality. Those who are interested could take that a few steps further if you care about such things. I don't. But one interesting thing you could ask is does market share affect the quality and number of apps? Does that hurt the chances of developers choosing to support Android near term if it isn't the biggest market? I'm much more interested in whether developers have faith and passion in a platform versus just where the biggest pond is. If you want to believe that is me backtracking on "who cares?" go nuts.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Sorry Sam, You're still trying to have it both both ways, as in "I'm going to highlight something I said wasn't worth paying attention to". And, of course, the American market is not the World.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Which market?
    What is "Android" in that context?
    Can you give a reference?
    I think Sam is talking US market. I think you're talking global market, including the (alleged) cheap non-Google Android market in China. I don't know if this includes devices like Amazon Kindle.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself. (I am large, I contain multitudes.) You can continue to argue about it all you want, I've explained it as best as I'm gonna and if you can't accept that, well tough =p

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That was the 2000 Census number. We're well over 300 million now: 314 estimated. Just laying the groundwork for future, less pointless, discussions :)

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    .LMAO Ken. Thanks. Let's not keep introducing further logic to confuse us. Let me try this another way, and see if this makes any sense: "If the numbers are dominated by shitty cheap phones and tablets that people throw in a closet and never use: I don't care about them. I am never going to buy one, I will not help friends and family with one, I will not support apps for them and I will point and laugh at the pitiful cries of those who demand App development for their platform' =p They can sell a hundred million times the number of them more than Apple does and I won't care. I do care about high quality Android devices. I probably own more of them than anyone I know (Kindle Fire HD, Vita, Samsung Fridge, Nexus 7 are just my current ones I've chosen to keep). If those devices have a strong market that spawns developer passion that's both cool and interesting. And I think that while they are not the primary impetus keeping Apple moving forward they are a contributor. And I want those devices and similar ones to continue to get better to boot! Win/win. But market share for market shares sake? Not interesting. Not helpful. Possibly detrimental as it drives a race to the bottom and removes oxygen supporting those better devices. Apple and otherwise.