Apple releases Safari 5 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/apple-release-safari-5/

Something that didn't make the headlines at WWDC, but available to download.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Where can you download this from? I can't find it and its not available through the software update.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Rumor is it might be developer only. Ars says everyone gets it tho. so hang tight!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/06/safari-5-faster-less-clutter-secure-browser-extensions.ars

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Panic!!!

http://www.panic.com/blog/2010/06/coda-notes-previe/

REALLY Panic!!!

In a break with the competition, though, it seems that Apple is requiring that all Safari Extensions go through the Apple Developer program before users can install them in their browsers. The extensions will be cryptographically signed by Apple, and the browser will check to make sure that the extensions are signed properly before they can be used.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Damn Safari 5 runs slow! Looking at the Apple site looks like i am not the only one having problems. I even did a reset on Safari, and it didnt help much. This site is always slow, but now i can go get something to drink while it loads! Same with my Hotmail, mail...slllooowwww. I wonder if its Flash animation causing the problems?

Hope we see some help from Apple, and pronto!

I have Snow Leopard and a Mac w Intel by the way.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, something here is very wrong. This is considerably slower in almost every way then Safari4, and it feels really sluggish in comparison to Chrome and Firefox, especially with multiple tab and view handling. It's like someone threw a boat anchor in here..

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I updated to Safari 5 several days ago and not only has everything been loading slower, but I have encountered crashes on many occasions. Previously I would encounter a crash about once a week at most but something is certainly amiss with 5. Crashes and some pages load for a while and then quit. The blue status bar goes about halfway and then just stops. I hate this update. Any way to go back?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I haven't had any issues with it on my Mac. It still loads starts up fast and web pages load faster than Firefox and Chrome. On my Win 7 laptop this is another matter altogether. It takes forever to load and then takes forever to pull up pages. I have removed it from my Win7 machine.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jason:

Try going here.

http://appletoolbox.com/2010/06/downgrade-from-safari-5-0-to-safari-4-0-5/

Or as one of the posters in that thread suggested try using Time Machine (if you have it installed) and revert back to a earlier copy of your software before you upgraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks