What's new

Apple iPad buyers / Owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's what I'm talking about, when I mention my desire for a reconstruction of magazines for digital devices. First, it's color. And it's a sensibly formatted magazine, with an intelligible structure and narrative flow -- not the typical scattered, randomized magazine website. Combine that with the 5-devices per "app" approach, so my wife and I can share like we do now, and life is good. Living room clutter decreases. She's no longer waiting on me to finish Newsweek; we can talk about articles since I'm now waiting two weeks for her to get around to it when I'm done.

I don't care about digital books. But digital magazines: Let me get out my wallet.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Pre-orders begin this morning at 8:30 AM EST (5:30 AM PST). I'll be ordering a 64GB 3G model. Anyone else joining me in the rush to lay down the plastic??

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm just saying that in 9 months that will seem over priced when they build the 3G in for free and double to 128gb for $599. Count on it. =)

Re: Mifi: I have a year left on my iphone 3gs contract. No sense adding a mifi until that is up. So I'm getting the ipad with 3g just for the rare occaissions where I need that over the phone but GOTTA have it. It's a $130 insurance policy.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Re: Mifi: I have a year left on my iphone 3gs contract. No sense adding a mifi until that is up. So I'm getting the ipad with 3g just for the rare occaissions where I need that over the phone but GOTTA have it. It's a $130 insurance policy.
Agreed -- and one more thing to keep in mind about MiFi -- when/if Verizon releases the 4G/LTE version it may really be worth it -- but until then you'll be in for a rude surprise on how much slower Verizon's CDMA/EV-DO data transfer rates are compared to AT&T's 3G network *when working properly*...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ordered 64gb 3G w/ a dock. I already have the little Bluetooth keyboard. I think a separate dock & kb is a more flexible combo than the dock-attached kb. I asked Sam about the MiFi because he indicated in the 1st post in this thread that he might go that route. I agree it makes no sense unless you live in one of AT&T's problem areas. Here in Houston, AT&T is pretty decent. In fact, I'm using it now to make this post while waiting on my car being serviced. Five bars - can't complain.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Lots of new info at:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

You can download ePub books from ANYWHERE, toss em in your itunes library, and sync to iPad:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html

Also, the mute button became a scroll lock.

New ways to control how much 3g usage you have left:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/3g/

Andy I's morning:
http://ihnatko.com/2010/03/12/my-morning-purchases/

And follow up:
http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/2099462,ihnatko-apple-ipad-sale-launch-031310.article

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:

I'm just saying that in 9 months that will seem over priced when they build the 3G in for free and double to 128gb for $599. Count on it. =)
A 3G 16GB iPad at $499 would probably break through my financial defenses sooner than I planned :)

And on links to iPad essays: it's always painful when non-tech journalists attempt to cover Apple. I like Megan Mcardle's econ / business coverage. But Mcardle's iPad essay was cringeworthy.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF ">[/url]

Quote:

A 3G 16GB iPad at $499 would probably break through my financial defenses sooner than I planned :)

And on links to iPad essays: it's always painful when non-tech journalists attempt to cover Apple. I like Megan Mcardle's econ / business coverage. But

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

On 2010 price drops/hardware feature changes -- my wild guess -- they won't happen.
I agree. But maybe Sam's got some super inside connection...

I don't think iPad sales are going to be iPhone-like. There's too much inertia against this category-busting device. I see even Apple Fanboy techno-gadget fans uncertain of it. But I'm expecting some interesting and powerful new applications specific to it. Even iWork, to me, seems like a iPad-seller.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No new information. But I'm betting this tech will refresh faster than I like, especially since I bought the most expensive one they make.

In other news Devs have until the 27th to get their iPad apps in to the store for a chance to be available on launch day. Most will only have ever been tested on a simulator, not the real thing. Should prove interesting.

Sam

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think they'll stick with the approximately annual refresh used for the "i" devices. And I think there will be a premium for 3G for a while as long as cell radios are additional hardware at additional cost to the manufacturer. Eventually they'll be like MP3 decoding hardware, where everything, from GPS to Blu Ray, can do it. But clearly we're not there yet.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

We all use the term lol a lot but I really did laugh out loud at this. Twice! http://www.foxtrot.com/2010/03/03212010/ thanks df!
Brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks