What's new

Apple iPad 2 buyers and owner's thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gruber's review is the one to read, I think. It's about the experience. http://daringfireball.net/2011/03/the_ipad_2

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Another review

Still think iPad 3 is going to be the game changer.

Question is, will it be out end of year as rumored

or in another year?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Robert Hope you are feeling ok Friday, I went with my wife to many of her chemo sessions I know how draining they can be by the end of the week. Take Care

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My Understanding is that the verizon Ipad chrages an activation fee everytime you turn it on and off, the AT&T does not, and its nice to be able to turn it on and buy time when you need it

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Jeebus these are so well done. Marketing as a true art form. Humanizing. Comforting. Equalizing. Enticing. Actually prompting you to aspire to use them in the case of iMovie and Garage Band.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Just look at that maps video. Something boring that hasn't changed much since first rev and you still shake your head and say 'that's fricking cool'....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Still think iPad 3 is going to be the game changer.

Question is, will it be out end of year as rumored

or in another year?

The original iPad is the game changer. Everything since April 2010 is evolution :) I've said it before: the iPad is as important as the launch of the original Mac in 1984. It's a watershed in personal computing. (My only dithering is whether the iPhone in 2007 is the true watershed and the iPad is better seen as an evolution of that.)

But the next major jump, more important than multicore and GPU speed and RAM and smart covers, will be a "RetinaDisplay" in an iPad. That will hit the eReader hardware world (ahem, Kindle and Nook) like an atom bomb, and be a big improvement in readability of, well, everything digital. I deeply want that device. I've been waiting for that type of screen for 20 years. I might finally get it in 6 to 12 months.

No one knows if it's coming out this Fall. The rumor for it is grounded on nothing but John Gruber thinking out loud.

But indulge me this observation: for a guy that readily spends $3000 every couple years on new top-shelf computers, it seems nothing to spend $499 for an iPad 2 today, and then sell it and buy an iPad 3 this Fall, should it appear. :)

I'll buy iMovie for sure now. I like the idea of video editing, but don't really do it. And as cool as iPhone iMovie looked, $4.99 for a demo wasn't a good buy. But iMovie is a universal app! I'll get $4.99 work of demo coolness out of playing with it on two devices :)

From Daring Fireball.

iMovie is a universal binary, so if you already bought it for your iPhone 4, you’ll get the upgrade to the iPad-native version free — but it’s only available on camera-equipped devices, so you can’t use it on the original iPad.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And another interesting question answered.

As for iMovie, [...] how to get footage into the app. [...] Apple’s Camera Connection Kit works well for this. You can shoot footage on an iPhone, then connect the iPhone to your iPad using the Camera Connection Kit. Import the photos and videos from your iPhone to your iPad, and boom, they’re ready for use within iMovie on your iPad.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Can you port movies from other sources though? Like old home movies or movies taken on other types of camcorders?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ok I used a Promo code on gazelle and got $609 for the Ipad and an Older Apple TV I had laying about, so I thought that a decent deal

So I guess I'll battle the crowds tommorrow after work for a White IPAD2 64gb & 3g from AT&T I was going to go verizon but the reports so they

are going to charge a $35 activation fee everytime you turn 3g on or off, is that true ?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My gut says we won't see Ipad 3 till March of Next year. By then I hope we also get a Ram bump to 128gb.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been looking for a straight answer on the Verizon Activation fee. No one knows. They charge it on sign-up and ever re-activation after 3 months of no use, on the Android tablets and the mifi. AppleInsider reported this as confirmation that Verizon will continue this policy with the iPad. MacRumors has a thread on it, and various people say they've asked Verizon customer servie reps and been told the same. David Chartier of MacWorld emailed me, in response to my question, and said his Verizon rep had no answer on the matter.

So: no on really knows. Verizon itself, inexplicably, has not made up its mind the day before a million people buy a Verizon iPad.

My opinion: if the activation fee is a dealbreaker for you, either don't buy an iPad 2 until Verizon has set its policy or buy an AT&T iPad.

I want a Verizon iPad, but their shenanigans are offputting so I plan to buy AT&T tomorrow, unless solid info gets out in the next 24 hours.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
All things digital is saying Verizon is saying no activation fee for month to month pricing. It's important to me too

as my AT&T Ipad is spotty on 3g and often has to use edge which is unusably slow.

http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110310/att-confirms-pricing-plans-for-ipad-2-iphone-hotspot/

Originally Posted by DaveF

I've been looking for a straight answer on the Verizon Activation fee. No one knows. They charge it on sign-up and ever re-activation after 3 months of no use, on the Android tablets and the mifi. AppleInsider reported this as confirmation that Verizon will continue this policy with the iPad. MacRumors has a thread on it, and various people say they've asked Verizon customer servie reps and been told the same. David Chartier of MacWorld emailed me, in response to my question, and said his Verizon rep had no answer on the matter.

So: no on really knows. Verizon itself, inexplicably, has not made up its mind the day before a million people buy a Verizon iPad.

My opinion: if the activation fee is a dealbreaker for you, either don't buy an iPad 2 until Verizon has set its policy or buy an AT&T iPad.

I want a Verizon iPad, but their shenanigans are offputting so I plan to buy AT&T tomorrow, unless solid info gets out in the next 24 hours.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave, I just saw that and was here to paste in the link, but you beat me to it! Hopefully that's the straight story. But since this is just one rep talking to ATD and not a broad message from VZW to all outlets, I'm still dubious. Hope to get confirmation today.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't follow those blogs, so how reliable are they? Specifically the one that says no activation fees on verizon. We will be getting the ipad after out tax refund and pretty sure we'll get one with the 3g just in case we need it. anyway I have 1189 MB of used data on my iphone for the last 28 days. so looks like anything under 2 would be fine for me. So if no activation fees then I can turn it on use it for a day or so then turn it off and only pay for the day used? Or is this an unknown at this point?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
All Things D is a quality site. They host events and do interviews with people like Steve Jobs. Their article should be correct. But, in so far as no one is getting a clear and consistent answer from Verizon, I won't assume know yet that their Verizon contact actually knows anything more than anybody else's.

I don't want to be spreading FUD on this. But the authoritative answer, a clear explanation of iPad 2 data plan fees on Verizon's website, has yet to appear. Until then, it's all secondary info until it is posted or people buy an iPad 2 and report their actual fees. Which will happen in about 26.5 hours :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks