What's new

Apple Event Sept 2016 (iPhone "7" and more?) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Of course Crawdaddy, gosh knows I have my own wants and desires but never once would I think to post to a message board, any message board, that I would swap vendors in protest over any manufacturer's choice of design or features, for any product category.
Hell, what are these message boards for besides gathering information? They're here for people to express their opinions, desires, preferences and intentions.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's a matter of degrees. There's a huge gap between 'I don't like X' and 'F those guys I'll give up all the apps I bought on z platform and buy from Y instead, and you should too'.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a matter of degrees. There's a huge gap between 'I don't like X' and 'F those guys I'll give up all the apps I bought on z platform and buy from Y instead, and you should too'.
Don't tell me what I should do and I'll give you the same respect!

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't recall ever telling anyone to do anything, all I said was it made me laugh given the noise over those similar bouts of outrage that turned into little impact. As I said in another thread: What's the worst that can happen with this situation? You have to use a $3 adapter that you can leave on the end of the wired connection your headphones have to have anyway!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't recall ever telling anyone to do anything, all I said was it made me laugh given the noise over those similar bouts of outrage that turned into little impact. As I said in another thread: What's the worst that can happen with this situation? You have to use a $3 adapter that you can leave on the end of the wired connection your headphones have to have anyway!
Llook at your prior post before this one and tell me what these last few words "you should too" mean then? Anyhow, I said my piece, if it makes you laugh, good, have your chuckle.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
All this handwringing over the loss of the analog headphone jack is ridiculous!

First of all, an adapter to accommodate your legacy, wired, analog headphones will be packed in the box. An even better solution would be to purchase Belkin's Bluetooth headphone adapter. This $20 accessory (due out next week) will convert any analog headphone/earbud set into Bluetooth wireless devices. And you're probably going to want to do that anyway since that will enable you to listen to your headphones/earbuds and charge the phone simultaneously.

Secondly, the benefits of excluding the analog jack are many:
* Room for a larger battery
* Makes the phone less susceptible to dust and debris.
* All digital audio provides a richer listening experience.
* And the obvious advantage: No wires!

Personally, I’ve been using Bluetooth headphones for about a year now, and would never go back to analog, wired devices. Apple is right for being a leader in shedding this outdated (1970's!) technology.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All this handwringing over the loss of the analog headphone jack is ridiculous!

First of all, an adapter to accommodate your legacy, wired, analog headphones will be packed in the box. An even better solution would be to purchase Belkin's Bluetooth headphone adapter. This $20 accessory (due out next week) will convert any analog headphone/earbud set into Bluetooth wireless devices. And you're probably going to want to do that anyway since that will enable you to listen to your headphones/earbuds and charge the phone simultaneously.

Personally, I’ve been using Bluetooth headphones for about a year now, and would never go back to analog, wired devices. Apple is right for being a leader in shedding this outdated (1970's!) technology.
I use Bluetooth headphones too, but I can hear the difference between those headphones and my wired ones. Is that so hard to understand for those us that want to keep that wired option? What I don't understand is why people that don't care about that jack get so upset with others that do? Explain to me why it's such a concern for you guys? If it doesn't affect you then why care? Why feel the need to ridicule or make fun of others that do care?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith

From what I have read so far, it doesn't seem like the battery in the new phones are getting much of a bump.

Other manufacturers have figured out how to make waterproof phones with headphone jacks. Seems like Apple should be able to as well.

People can't get that if there is a headphone jack on the phone? Seems like Apple is simply removing options.

What's the worst that can happen with this situation? You have to use a $3 adapter that you can leave on the end of the wired connection your headphones have to have anyway!

I was under the impression that such an adapter would require payment of a licensing fee to Apple and that fee would likely be more than $3. I am not familiar with this subject myself. Anyone have any knowledge about this?

-Keith

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Sorry, I wasn't trying to attack anybody. I didn't even mean to respond direcly to you. I was just listing some of the reasons Apple may have for excluding the jack; and pointing out that there are many options that will be available which will allow existing analog wired sets to still operate with the new iPhone --- some of which won't even require a dongle.

IMO, the plusses outweigh the negatives at this point in time ... But that's just my opinion.

In any event I certainly apologize if the post offended you.

I certainly value all of your opinions regarding Classic Movies and have enjoyed many evenings viewing the movies you have recommended.

This analog vs wireless digital headphone stuff just isn't worth getting all that upset about; and I won't be bringing it up again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert,

Sorry, I wasn't trying to attack anybody. I didn't even mean to respond direcly to you. I was just listing some of the reasons Apple may have for excluding the jack; and pointing out that there are many options that will be available which will allow existing analog wired sets to still operate with the new iPhone --- some of which won't even require a dongle.

IMO, the plusses outweigh the negatives at this point in time ... But that's just my opinion.

In any event I certainly apologize if the post offended you.

I certainly value all of your opinions regarding Classic Movies and have enjoyed many evenings viewing the movies you have recommended.

This analog vs wireless digital headphone stuff just isn't worth getting all that upset about; and I won't be bringing it up again.
Joseph,

No problem, I'm just surprised by the push back from some about this issue. I didn't expect it to be such a big deal with those that don't care about this jack.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

* it doesn't
* waterproof is possible with headphone jack
* nope (digital snake oil, that one). Also, already possible since lightning headphones are a thing
* not an advantage since its already possible

The most plausible explanation I've heard is that Apple plans an edge-to-edge screen for 2017, and they're removing the headphone jack in 2016 as part of the transitions needed to enable that.

In the short term I'm unethused as there's no apparent benefit to me, only downsides.

We'll know more out in a few days. :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I use bluetooth earbuds (Jabra Sport Pulse) with my iPhone 6s when I go to the fitness center after work. While at work, I use wired earbuds to listen to podcasts because I don't want to forget to recharge my wireless at work and end up at the track for a 3 mile walk and my bluetooth Jabras are dead.

When I upgrade my iPhone again (probably not until the next cycle because I'm skipping the 7) I'll use my wired earbuds with the small lightning adapter and be happy as a clam.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I echo Joseph, I don't think I attacked but to those who saw it as one I do apologize. I recognize that the change does impact some more than others. It does amuse me that it's spawned an outrage before it even hits tho, it seems non-commensurate, but we don't really ev n know the details yet.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't like the planned obsolescence thing. I used to be a heavy iPhone music listener, but now it's rare that I use it for music. I like that for the once in a blue moon I feel like using it for music, I can simply use any existing headphones I have. I like that I can keep a cheap pair of wired headphones in my pocket all the time so if I feel like using the phone for music, I can.

Bluetooth headphones (or any other variety of wireless headphones) do not seem ideal for me. First and foremost, I don't want another thing to worry about charging. What if the one time I'm on the train home and feel like listening to a song, I can't, because the headphone batteries are dead? If there's an adapter, what if I lose it or forget to take it with me? What if there's an issue with wireless connectivity, or if I'm in a location where wireless connections are forbidden (like an airplane or hospital).

Like others here, I'm not against the phones having the option of using wireless headsets. But I'd much prefer to keep the existing jack. Removing it doesn't address or solve any issues for me, but does make it slightly less useful for no good reason.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ok Josh that's all fair. You have solid reasons behind your druthers. We will see what the reality is on Wednesday. If it's true the headphone jack is gone, what then?

This is the middle ground I see: People will be annoyed but quickly get used to it. I don't see very many people switching ecosystems over it, and waiting for the next model to bring it back isn't a winning strategy. So, despite the legit downsides it becomes the new normal overnight and collectively we move forward to better quality wireless buds and dongles exist to bridge existing technology for as long as people like. If you want to charge and listen to headphones you are going to likely have to wait for a y cable to fix that use case.

In this situation: Yes there are legit downsides but significant long term upsides. A manufacturer can choose short term pain or be held captive long term to very low count factions who will leave. If they go with the latter we could still have things like 15 pin VGA in 2016. Oh that's right, we do. Wasted cost all around.

I respect the tearing of the bandage and get that not everyone does, but ultimately it's neither of our call. We can either roll with it or rebel. I don't see a lot of upside in rebelling, but maybe I'm wrong there, that's what I'm hoping you guys can fill in for me.

Respectfully submitted. Thanks

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Frankly, I'm done arguing this point as I don't care to convince anybody else why I feel about this phone jack issue. It's how I feel and that's the the important thing to me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sam, to answer your question: I currently have an iPhone 5 and it works fine for me. Battery could be better but it's a small quibble. I wasn't planning to upgrade until this one dies. When it does, I will almost certainly stay with Apple...the benefits of me staying with an iPhone outweigh the inconvenience of losing the headphone jack. I'm sure I'll make the same decision when my MacBook Pro goes and I'll have to get one without an optical drive. I understand that most people don't use these things anymore and I get the design decision. I'll be bummed for a moment and then move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks