What's new

Apple Event Sept 2016 (iPhone "7" and more?) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gazelle doesn't offer the best price on trade-ins. You can get much more from other services. However, I have used Gazelle religiously over the years and they are dependable. I can trust when I send something back to them I will get paid.

If anyone is using another service, I would love to know about how dependable they are.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gazelle doesn't offer the best price on trade-ins. You can get much more from other services. However, I have used Gazelle religiously over the years and they are dependable. I can trust when I send something back to them I will get paid.

If anyone is using another service, I would love to know about how dependable they are.
On a two-year trade-in from 5s to 6s, plus switching carriers from AT&T to Verizon, Verizon's trade-in was $50+ better than Gazelle. That was last year. I hear so much advertising about how great Gazelles prices are, I was surprised and disappointed and it made me somewhat anti-Gazelle. I think they're cheating people by using an old reputation to give less money.

But, depending on priorities, newness and carrier incentives, they can be the best option.

I'm not even going to tout eBay anymore. They're too risky I think for Joe Average to sell an iPhone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

You hit the nail on the head.

Gazelle doesn't offer great cash incentives. They used to, but over the years, they figured out they don't have to.

Sort of created the idea that you need not get the best deal, just the most dependable. And some people, like myself like that.

Ebay? I agree. Way to risky. I tried to sell a phone there years ago and got more than I bargained for -- and that was not a good thing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As hard as it is for me to believe, however, that era of Apple is long since past. It's been nearly a decade since the iPhone launched. In those days we thought we were pretty web savvy, but digital media was still largely a curiosity — an add-on to traditional print, TV, radio and the like. These days, we're all so interconnected: The prospect of a true surprise, on the order of what Apple pulled off consistently during the heyday of Steve Jobs, seems unrealistic.
http://www.imore.com/age-dramatic-apple-event-reveal-over-and-thats-okay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While I'm sure this will be interesting to me, as the events always are, it might not have anything for me. I'm a year way from my next iPhone. iPads probably come out in March 2017 -- a sticky situation since we need an upgrade sooner than later. I want a new desktop, but no new Macs at the Sept 7 event. I don't Apple Watch, so nothing there; and I hope not to replace my wife's watch until the next Fall.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My iPhone 6 plus is a little wonky at the moment so I want to upgrade, but I'd rather wait for the 2017 iPhone.

I did remember that I got the Apple Care plan for it so I suppose I could pay for a replacement.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“With a new iPhone arriving soon, many people will look to sell their old iPhone for some quick cash. But which places offer the best return and the smoothest process? To find out, Tom’s Guide tested seven services that buy and sell used iPhones.”

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/used-iphone-guide,review-3852.html

Dave,

Thank you for this.

You have no idea what an incredible help this will be.

I never knew about Glyde. I can get $100 more using that service, but it seems that you can't put anything up for sale there until ready to sell and the new phone is not out yet.

I will look at the other services.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
All the gnashing of teeth over the headphone jack has me laughing at the minor things people take soooo seriously. If you would seriously swap ecosystems over it, may I direct your attention to:
sealed battery brouhaha
SD card whining
app permission lockdown / jailbreak freakout.

It's always something to go nuts over.

Personally I think I've ever used headphones twice on an iPhone, but whatever, everyone is covered here even if it is a silly dongle.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
All the gnashing of teeth over the headphone jack has me laughing at the minor things people take soooo seriously. If you would seriously swap ecosystems over it, may I direct your attention to:
sealed battery brouhaha
SD card whining

Personally I think I've ever used headphones twice on an iPhone, but whatever, everyone is covered here even if it is a silly dongle.

I'm not going nuts, but I'm glad this is my off year from upgrading. I've got $300 Bose NC headphones I use regularly with my iPhone and iPad. In 2017, I seem to be faced with stupid dongle or spend another $300 to replace with them with the new BT version.

Let's say I'm open to an explanation, but I'm not enthused preemptively.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
sealed battery brouhaha
SD card whining

I'm sorry if my concerns don't match your own, but that's what happens when individuals have different circumstances and perspectives that make us unique from each other.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm sorry if my concerns don't match your own, but that's what happens when individuals have different circumstances and perspectives that make us unique from each other.

Of course Crawdaddy, gosh knows I have my own wants and desires but never once would I think to post to a message board, any message board, that I would swap vendors in protest over any manufacturer's choice of design or features, for any product category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks