What's new

APOCALYPTO --- Mel Gibson's Latest (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Count me as someone who liked Apocalypto...but didn't love it. It was an action/revenge movie in really spiffy clothes and very well-directed. I wanted to like it more than I did, but I was impressed. I hope it sells like gangbusters, because I want Gibson to make more films. Whatever he wants.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I think Brad's feelings about Apocalypto mirror mine about Gladiator. I was expecting a "roman epic" and was very disappointed to find a simple, narrowly focused revenge story with no real depth, and historical or cultural resonance.

But a difference is that Gladiator did make a feeble attempt to be more than that, what with the court intrigue leading to the last act -- and failed miserably. The film was at it's best when swimming in Maximus' angst and Commodus' insecurities.

Apocalypto on the other hand, never tried to be anything more than what it was. I am just glad I went in with the right expectations (I remember reading an interview where Mel said this stuff would best appeal to a bunch of college guys out for some badass action and a hero to root for); otherwise, chances are I might have been disappointed as well.

--
H

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Mel might have set his aim a bit low. :) I found this film to certainly be one of fierce action and intensity, and yet found this tribe or population literally becoming extinct, extremely compelling. I think there's alot of depth to this film that might get masked behind all the action sequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.