What's new

'Apocalypse Now' voted greatest film of the last 25 years (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Would Laurence Olivier have been a better choice? Not a chance
I don't know, instead of making them an offer they couldn't refuse he could ask them a question they couldn't refuse....to answer.
"Is it safe?" And he would ask them over and over again. :laugh:
Seriously, he was still pretty intimidating in that role, though it was an entirely different ethnicity and approach.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Olivier was great as Szell in Marathon Man and the dvd is worth buying, showing some rare behind-the-scenes footage of Olivier and Hoffman rehearsing a scene.
Olivier was also great in Sleuth, love that film, the atmosphere, John Addison's music, Michael Caine was great too, so were the supporting players...
Looking at the nominees for 1972 posted by Agee Bassett,:emoji_thumbsup: , I would say Brando was a clear winner, his was the 'standout' performance, like it or not, Al Pacino was better in Godfather II, and should have won Best Actor for that instead of Art Carney,IMO.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What Agee wrote, and to (slightly) further comment, I would add Brando’s performance in Last Tango in Paris as noteworthy.

Count me on the side of those who feel that Brando rarely achieved in his later performances the brilliance found in ‘Streetcar’ and ‘Waterfront’. Interestingly, some found his acting in ‘Streetcar’ to be too stage-oriented and not at all suited to film.

I never saw him on the stage, but by all accounts his acting there was of the highest order.

I consider his turn in movies such as Missouri Breaks and AN, to be examples of taking the money. So much so, that as much as I love most of AN, I can’t quite rank it in my first order of films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks