Anyway to get permenant marker off a dvd?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike_Craft, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

I just got back from my local blockbuster with "the thirteenth floor". Excited to finally watch this movie, I open it up to discover a horrific site. Apparently the DVD is one of those siade A fullscreen and Side B widescreen type dealies, and the moneky working at blockbuster, wrote a big string of numbers directly ontop of the widescreen side of the disc in permenant marker. I put the DVD in my player, and I can get to and through the menus, but when I start the film, it freezes up on me. I also tried dycrpting it onto my computer in an attempt to watch it but thats flooded with read errors as well. The fullscreen side appears to work fine, but I dont watch fullscreen.

I know I can probably take the movie back to blockbuster tomorrow, and hopefully they will let me rent another, but its an older film and they only have 1 copy in stock.

Is there anything I can do to get the marker off so I can watch the movie? How some1 can just ruin a DVD like that is beyond me.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Isopropyl alcohol might work. Nail polish remover will probably work, as well as acetone. Maybe even paint thinner. Any kind of strong solvent should do it.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

goo gone will take it right off

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yeah, I second the goo gone. If you elect to go with a solvent, start with the least "hot" solvent such as mineral spirits, commonly knows as simple "paint thinner".... then move up the ladder to hotter things such as acetone (nail polish remover), ..... but don't get into the xylene or tolulene family of solvents. Goo Gone typically is great for that kind of stuff as well as simple mineral spirits. Both are not much of a problem product to have around your shop long term.

5. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

I heard of this goo gone stuff before and wanted to buy some so I can remove the sticky residue from when I peel stuff off or on my DVD cases. But which kind should I buy? I just searched online and theres like 25 different kinds of goo-gone. also, would Canadian tire sell it? And if not, what stores would sell it? I know for a fact my local wal-mart does not carry it.

edit: I got impatient and used nail polish remover since I had it lying around the house. The stuff worked great and the movie works fine now. Saved myself an extra trip to blockbuster. Would still be interested in the goo gone stuff tho.

6. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

that's odd. i always buy goo gone at wal-mart. i spose any home depot or lowes would have it as well.

kevin t

7. jonny h

jonny h Agent

Color over it with a dry erase marker and wipe. It works on white boards.

8. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Related subject: I have a CD-R somebody did for me on the quick--its tracks are listed by number only. I listened to it and know what it is, but what's the best thing to use to write on a CD-R so I can at least title the thing so I won't look at it every time and wonder what it is. Thanks!

PatH

9. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

a sharpie

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not crazy about the idea of any solvents on a CD/DVD. I would just try some water and a soft rub. Acrylic polish might work also.

11. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

Awesome, this is like the coolest trick! Tried it out on my white board and it worked great! [​IMG]