What's new

Anything better than a Pioneer VSX-D711 for $133 ? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I saw a Pioneer VSX-D711 for $132.95 while looking at receivers a couple of days ago, that seemed like a pretty low price to me.

Does anyone have any recommendations of other receivers that you would consider superior for anywhere near that price?

Thanks,
BrianGC

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I am not really in the receiver scene right now but I know my parents have that receiver and I would say for that price it would be hard to beat. Maybe you could find a better deal going through audiogon or here at the marketplace, but for 133 dollars I don't think you would be making a mistake, especially if you don't plan on using 6.1.

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
How about the Sherwood 6108
I'm not familiar with that brand, not sure how comfortable I'd be with an unfamiliar brand.

JandR had a Yamaha 5540 for $169 (now $179), with shipping you'd be pushing $200. I don't know it would be worth the extra money to go with the yamaha for not.

BrianGC

Jeremy:L

Agent
The Yamaha's are great receivers. I have the Pioneer VSX-D411 and I love it. The only thing missing is video switching, which I don't need anyway.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

Sherwood is one of the classic names in American audio, although like many American audio companies (i.e. Marantz, McIntosh, Fisher, etc...), it's now own by an Asian parent company. However, Sherwood, and its upscale line Sherwood Newcastle, is producing great products at good prices. Do a search on this forum and you'll see. In fact, Sherwood reps are on this forum on a regular basis.

By the way, the Sherwood 6108 can be had for under $100.00 here. I've been to Fry's and it's a brand-new-in-the-box receiver. Although I will have Circuit City beat Fry's price; they are both local to where I live.

I looked at the Yamaha 5540 at J&R (when it was $169.95), but the Yamaha doesn't have 24-bit/96khz converters for all channels like the Sherwood does. Check out this thread. BTW, Jeff Hipps is an executive at Sherwood.

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
I went ahead and picked up the VSX-D711 at Circuit City for $132.95 yesterday.

I don't know if it was a pricing error or not, the printed shelf "sale" tag and the computer showed the same price.

For nearly $100 cheaper than the cheapest online price I figured I might as well get it.:D

BrianGC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks