What's new

Anyone want to quit smoking with me? (second try) (2 Viewers)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A pack of cigarettes in New York City costs around $7/pack now that the new tax on it has kicked in.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I am nearly at the 12 smoke-free hours mark.
I have thought of a few reasons to inspire me to stick with this:
  • I have Asthma
  • My Father died of Emphysema
  • At $4.50+ a pack its just a waste of money.
  • I am tired of wheezing and coughing after a walk updstairs.
  • My girlfriend told me she wants me to be around a long, long time. :b
  • More money for my hobbies.
  • No more being a social outcast!!! (at least for being a smoker) :)
  • I don't care WHAT kind of toothpaste you use, smokers breath is stinky!

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
One of the things that have helped some is drinking lots of water throughout the day. Every time you want to reach for a cigarette, reach for a glass of water.

Anyway, best to those who are trying to quit.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Still quit here, Going on a few days now. It's been really tough since I've smoked for 20 years. But I know that if I don't do it now since I turned 30, I never will. Between this and committing to eating right, I am incredibly miserable though, at least until my body adjusts to the change. Hang in there, guys.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Rain, I'm not sure why you're so against using some of the nicotine-replacements. I smoked at least a pack/day for 14 yrs., and then quit using the patch. I haven't had a single cigarette in four years (as of the upcoming Aug. 15). What's more, I don't even want to smoke. In fact, it's easy not smoking.

Remember, it's not really the nicotine that's damaging your body - it's the tars, resins, and other poisons in the cigarette smoke. And, as you've noted, there's a huge psychological aspect. The patch lets you quit the psychological "act of smoking" addiction without the accompanying physical pangs of nicotine withdrawal. Right away, you're kicking the psychological part of the habit with an assist on the physical end.

Then, you reduce your nicotine intake by using the smaller patch doses. I stayed on the patch for about 6 weeks. When I was done, I was done. Addiction overcome in two stages: psychological first, physical second.

It's worth it.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Rain, I'm not sure why you're so against using some of the nicotine-replacements.
Cuz I'm a stubborn bastard. :D
Ok, I'm back on the bandwagon. I haven't had a smoke in a couple hours and I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. Maybe that doesn't seem like a very long time, but it's a start. :)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
There's another thing about quitting something...you have to WANT to quit. This is more complicated than it sounds. One can convince himself that he sincerely and truly wants to quit doing something, when that couldn't be further from the truth. The first thing before even attempting to quit a bad habit is to make sure that you 100% want to quit. There can't be any resistance left in there.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
5 hrs (approx.)
Still feelin' fine. :emoji_thumbsup:
I'm about to employ a little something I like to call "the beer test." :D
How are our other quitters doing?
Eve?
Jasen?
Zen?
Whoever else I'm forgetting cuz I'm too lazy to scroll back?
I'll check in tomorrow morning.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A pack of cigarettes in New York City costs around $7/pack now that the new tax on it has kicked in.
Yeah, New York State has the highest state tax on smokes in the country. I don't smoke, and won't start, but my mother drives to Vermont every weekend to load up on enough cartons to get her through the week.
Just remember the disgusted looks people are giving you behind your back when you light up. Then think how good it would be to not get a second glance about it.
Good luck:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I ended up breaking down yesterday after a rather long and silly argument with the fax machine at work. I'm a little irritable.....

But no Marlboros for me since 3:00 pm yesterday, sleeping was a little difficult last night and I am suffring this morning for it.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Rain, is there a reference to that by Denis Leary?
Not that I'm aware of. I don't pay much attention to Mr. Leary.
I'm pleased to report that I have passed the "beer test" and have now been tobacco free for 20 hours! Still feelin' fine. :)
Now I've just begun the hardest test of all, a little something called The Going to Work and Dealing with Stupid Bullshit for 8 Hours in a Row Test.
Wish me luck.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Man I just don't get it with the have to have it or Ill die thing. This is my second time around quitting & I think its pretty easy if you just decide that you really don't wont to do it anymore.
In a way I feel kinda stupid saying that because after all I did start up a second time after 5 years but I think the second time I picked it up as more a social habit than a got to have habit,if that makes any since.
Do any of you trying to quit try running or riding a bike or anything like that? I ride my bike almost every day for about 10 to 20miles & beleve me you don't wont to smoke after it.I really think that is one of the big factors in helping me quit,for one you simply will not wont one when you riding like hell,to me it is very relaxing which farther helps,& when your done your body just wont take any of that crap just making you wont to put it down even more.
Anyway good luck to those all trying;)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Way to go Rain! If you make it through tonight the hardest part is behind you. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, I went for a break with my usual smokin' buddy. I sat there and watched him smoke. Wasn't even tempted to have one.
After only 21.5 hours of not smoking, I can report a noticable increase in energy and a noticable decrease in anxiety.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Eve?
Zen?
Where are ya?

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Smoke free for a few days now. Feeling great. If I can make it through the month, I'm going to treat myself by upgrading my computer.
If I fail, I'm going to upgrade my computer out of depression. :)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Doesn't matter how little time it has been so far, what you are doing is huge.
As long as they don't deny you internet access, you can get through it. Good show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks