What's new

Anyone use the Canon iP3000/iP4000 to print photos? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I picked up some Kirkland 8x11 glossy photo paper from Costco and was pleasantly surprised that it worked pretty well with this printer. I got a 125-sheet box for $19 + tax, which seemed to be a good deal after doing some pricing research of other brands. It's 10 mil 69 pound paper, and it dries almost immediately after printing is completed.

I will have to check for newer versions of Easy Print because I'm getting some weird minor splotching when the background is faded out (with tight focus in the foreground, which prints out fine). It's like getting some glazing of blues and other colors for the background shapes/colors. First I thought it was the printer, so I'd rotate the photo 180 degrees, to get the printer to print the problem areas first instead of last, and the problem areas still showed up, so I think it's the software that doesn't know what to do with out-of-focus colors in the background of the photo files.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I just had my new Epson R800 arrive and good god the prints are gorgeous! I've done not colour matching and yet apart from maybe a touch more saturation they don't really need tinkering with.

What I'm really chuffed about is how B&W looks - looks very neutral to me with none of the greenish cash my old Photo 890 had. It's quiet, fast and the prints last longer than I will - I'm happy! (well, until they bring out an A3 version)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I got the ip4000 today. I haven't tested it out yet.

Does it matter whether I use the parallel or USB connection?

~T

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I printed out a 4x6 of one picture shot with my Canon A75 camera, and I am very impressed! Wow! I upgraded from an Epson Stylus 600.

~T

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I am miffed that Canon left out the CD-printing capability that is found on their Euro-models, while Epson does include it in their Rxxx models in the US.

Glad you like the iP4000, it's a nice versatile printer. I really really like the duplex printing (printing on both sides of the page) feature.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Fry's has the ip4000 for $99, and I paid $119 for it. What makes it worse is that I haven't been using it as my printer because I'm using the old one until its ink runs out.

~T

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'm looking to get another printer for my wife for Valentine's Day (not the most romantic thing, but hey... :)). Just a couple questions about the ip4000:

1 - Can this be used without a computer? My sister's having a baby shower soon and my wife would like to print pictures out at the event and scrapbook them immediately.

2 - I have a Canon A70 (I think that's the right model) digital camera. Can I connect the camera directly to the printer without a bridge?

3 - If I have to use just the memory card on the printer, how do you determine which shots you are printing if you are not using a computer?

Best Buy appears to have this one on sale for ~$143, but if Fry's has it for $100 I'd run over there to get one. Thanks in advance!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
According to the manual, it's compatible with any "PictBridge" or "Bubble Jet Direct" camera/camcorder.

I'm not sure if Fry's still has it on sale. I think that price was for their Monday/Tuesday ad. However, you should be able to find it for around $120 due to a $20 instant rebate.

~T

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
James:

1. Yes, both of those printers can be used without a PC provided your camera supports Pictbridge.

2. If your camera has a direct connect feature via a USB cable then, yes you could connect it to the printer without a bridge or dock.

3. It doesn't look like either of these have memory card readers. Printers that do, either have an LCD screen built in where you can choose the pictures to print or those that don't allow you to print an index card with thumbnails of the images and you just select the number assigned to the thumbnail. The documentation of the printer will tell you which memory cards go into which slots. Some cameras let you flag which shots you want to print and the flag creates a Digital Print Order Format file (DPOF) that stays in the memory card even when removed from the camera so the printer will print the photos flagged for printing when you insert the memory card into the printer.

I have an HP Photosmart 145 printer that works fantastically without a PC. It is extremely portable and works with any memory card, including the Sony Memory Sticks. It's fast and produces excellent prints. I just plug the camera into the printer with the USB cable or just remove the memory card and print. It couldn't be easier. The best part is I got it at Wal-Mart for 80 bucks.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks