What's new

Anyone Use "Delicious Library" to catalog DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

It has to be OS X only. Its totally integrated with iCal and Addressbook. Also, you can use the Apple iSight camera as a barcode reader. I've been trying out the demo and it seems pretty good so far.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I like the demo, but it keeps crashing on my G4, and paying 40 bucks for still very buggy software is not my idea of a good time. I might shell out some cash if it gets a lot more stable (and when I can add imported DVDs) (seems like that would be an obvious feature). Limiting the database to what amazon.com sells is just going to cause problems.

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
I downloaded DL the day it was released. I couldn't add a single (R1) DVD by UPC code. I tried searching by title but it would only show books. It may have been fixed by now but I don't know as I tossed it away.

I do know that it uses Amazon's database. So if you have an international collection of DVDs it's not very useful.

I can only hope that Intervocative will eventually support Mac.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
If you have a good G4 or G5, DVDProfiler is easy to use and runs as fast as a dedicated PC without a glitch on a Mac using Virtual PC Software. Having a Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 with 2 MB L3 cache per processor and Memory @ 2 GB DDR SDRAM; No Problems. Been doing it for years. Running Windows XP professional with a Total RAM in PC: 512 MB and Total VRAM in PC: 16 MB lets me view 1920 x 1200 in millions of colors too.;)

Paul

(2 Edits made for signature link)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I looked at Delicious Library, but with over 500 DVDs in my collection, I didn't like how it presented large amounts of data. I'm sticking with DVD Profiler under Virtual PC. Version 7 runs very well.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
They have already added support for searching through the international Amazon sites.

I currently use this and DVDpedia. Library is just missing a few features to make me switch to it permanently. I desparatly needs a "Wish List" area. A place I can put upcoming purchases without adding them to my library. Other than that, a few minor additions here and there would make this a perfect program.

I hooked it up to my Digital Video Camera to scan my library. A little under 400 entries took less than one night. When I entered them all in DVDpedia (that was about 60 DVDs ago), it took me all of one weekend. I'm just going to maintain both programs until Library comes around.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Of course, DVDPedia does suppord barcode readers, including the cheap, unmodified CueCats available just about everywhere online. I scanned in about 400 titles in less than an hour.

-Scott

EdR

Second Unit
I checked out Delicious Library and overall I'm happy with how it works, it's dead simple to use, and gorgeous to look at. I have an iSight camera, so importing items was as simple as clicking on the camera button and holding barcodes in front of the camera. It works surprisingly well even if the barcode is skewed or in low-light.

I don't have that many DVDs (around 150), but I do have a lot of books, games and CDs, and for books DL simply rocks. It invariably found every book, although I have a number of academic books for which it could not get cover art.

My CD collection is even more obscure than my book collection, and DL fails to find many of my CDs (I'm talking very obscure, import-only discs, some had runs of only 1,000 or so). They need to add new sources for internet lookups, particularly for music...Discogs.com would be a good start.

For games it was a mixed bag. PS2 games had a much higher match rate than Xbox or GameCube games, but generally typing in the name of the game brought it up just fine.

Some additional bonuses; it has a nice check-out/lending system that syncs with the MacOS address book. And it also auto-synchs your library with an iPod, adding your entire library to the notes portion of the iPod transparently. I'm hoping that they will add cover art to the iPod Photo in the future.

All in all, it's a good application, very well designed, you can view your library as a list if you want, but it's hard not to view it in the very attractive shelf format. They need to add more sources for lookups, or, even better allow you to add your own. I'll be interested to see where they go with updates.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I forgot about the iPod synching. This is great and will come in handy for after Christmas shopping. Once again, though, it would be nice to have a wish list feature. I can't tell you how many times I've been at Best Buy and for the life of me couldn't remember any of the 400 or so discs on my wish list. Having that info on my iPod would be very handy.

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
I tried this out the day it came out. I have mixed feelings about it.

First, I just tried a to enter a few books that I had on my desk and one DVD I had on my desk.

Using my iSight, it read in the bar code without problems. All of the 5 books that I tried came up with information, but only two of them got cover art. This was strange because Amazon had the cover art, but Library didn't get it (for some reason).

The one DVD I tried (Hellboy) was not found on Amazon - even though, obviously, it was there. So no information was read for that DVD.

So with that, somewhat limited, attempt of reading in books and a DVD I was not impressed. The bar code reading was great - and would save considerable of time. But if they can't get the info - or the cover art - it's not what I want.

And I could not find out what the output options were. I like to be able to generate both hard copies and web sites (in user configurable formats) - and I could not see if that was available with Library.

So, I was not impressed with this program - and I was really looking forward to using it.

I have found that for the Mac the program Readerware is better for my needs. It does not hook up to my iSight, but it does work with real bar code scanners (if I wanted to buy one). And you can really customize the exporting of the data - which is great for my needs.

Brandon

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I use at least half a dozen catolog'ers that are free... I could not see a reasoning as to pay anything, especially $40 for one. www.dvdaf.com is even giving PDA support now! Delicious does look nice though.

Ryan

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have a line on a cheap barcode wand for my WinXP computer to use with DVD Profiler? I see mention of CueCats on here but reading on the net it looks like their driver has spyware imbedded in it :frowning:

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The company that made CueCats has gone under, and many applications (like ReaderWare and DVDPedia - not sure about DVD Profiler) work with their own drivers that don't require the installation of the "spyware."

There are also articles online (Google it) that give simple instructions on modifying a CueCat to work with other drivers.

In any case, since the company has gone under, I don't think spyware is an issue. CueCats, last I looked, were available in abundance from third parties - both in modified and unmodified forms, in serial or USB interfaces, for around $10 - $15.

Check with the Profiler documentation to see if it will work for you.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
A Wired (and Slashdot) article just came out about the Delicious Library guys. Apparently they drink lots of coffee :) Wired article.

I asked this in the other recent cataloging thread, but no one answered -- does Delicious Library and/or DVDPedia support Amazon.fr ? Also, does anyone have experience with how they handle importing data from ReaderWare?

Thanks,
Ted

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I tried DL, but I didn't like the way it downloaded data. As others have mentioned, support for international DVDs is not very good. I've been using DVDCache lately, and it's been very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks