What's new

Anyone suck as bad as I do at NFL 2K3??? (1 Viewer)

Jason Price

Second Unit
I will just say this - I got infinitely better once I just forgot about this button....Its useless - more or less
You get run down all the time by LBs with your WRs cuz they tire quicker....Once you hit this button as a RB every defender keys on you....When running as the RB never use this unless you need to gain that little extra bit of yardage for 1st down, or try and get out of tight spot....never while in the backfield - its a guaranteed loss of yardage....As a WR you dont need it - they wont get caught if they are 95+ Speed unless you use the Turbo they then tire and get caught....forget about the turbo - just use the break tackle button
I have to disagree with you there - it's all in the execution. :) I've found that the key to running the ball is patience, and knowing when to use your speed bursts. As the back, you need to follow your blockers (when they actually do something - they REALLY need to fix that), and be patient waiting for the hole to open (and charging up your meter). When the hole opens, you have to react immediately, as it will close quickly. Use the speed burst to get through the hole and into the secondary. After that, you really don't need it.
When I first started, I would just pound the speed button and go slamming into the line where the play was designed - never had any success that way at all. With the method described above, I have good success running the ball...

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
The fullback missing blocks is intentional. It depends on their run block skill and they will miss blocks just like they do in the NFL. Makes having a good fullback more important.

Jason Price

Second Unit
The fullback missing blocks is intentional. It depends on their run block skill and they will miss blocks just like they do in the NFL. Makes having a good fullback more important.
If it really is intentional, then it's really poorly implemented, IMHO. I'm a huge NFL fan, and I can't ever remember a time when a FB on a lead block around the goalline just trots into the end zone, ignoring the 2 LBs waiting to tackle the RB. It's very rare that a FB completely misses/ignores a lead block. A poor block, sure, but they pretty much always at least chip them and slow them down a bit. I'm not asking for my FB to lay the perfect block every time, but 99% of the time, he should make at least *some* contact with the defender...

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I agree. I think it is also partly a limitation of their AI I think it goes to block the first thing it sees sometimes. I have high hopes for 2k4. A friend and I were going through and trying to compile a list of things that we'd like to see tweaked maybe I'll post it and see what you guys think.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
These are in no given order just whatever order we thought of them in.

1) Persistent substitutions for the year, by package/formation something you don't have to do once you start the game. (have packages for 3rd down back, pass rush or run stop for different DT and DE. A big one is special teams.)

2) Slow the computer QB decision making skills- they read coverage insanely quick on all settings which causes unrealistic pass%.

3a) Equal out the computers drop rate with players(at default level make them play with the same rules and level of play.)

3b) Don't light up the icon on the player until they have posession of the ball. Nothing is more annoying in this game then throwing a pass having it APPEAR that he caught the ball because the icon lights up have him take two steps and drop the ball for incomplete pass. The hilighting of the icon makes me think that the reciever has made the catch.

4) In building a custom playbook, Allow you to start with a pre-set playbook, then add/subtract plays/Formations

5) player progression- show what they have changed at the end of Preseason/year.(anytime they change)

6)Fix DB AI so that when they have high perception they don't go for an interception and have the animation take them out of the play. Possibly make it a slider so you can set DB aggressiveness.

7) Allow you to preview defensive play so you can see who is covering who, or what zone to play in.

8) when you call audible have it show you your current play in single player/online play when opponent can't see the information.

9)add the ability to save substitutions and settings for online, and vs play. (if you always sub in alstott or always change the depth chart for 2 positions along with any camera view or options for multiple hot routes and advanced line moves. have it save that so you don't have to do it at the beginning of each game.)

10)Have different camera views/options in online play. (example I want Pass Zoom on, my opponent does not) Why do you have to see what they see?

11) In Franchise mode, have it sim a realistic number of plays/stats for all teams, regardless of how many minutes per quarter I play.

12) when the computer is in "hurry up" mode, it runs the same play over and over, until stopped. Also you can't make the defense "hurry" back to the line, resulting in 4 or 5 "off sides" calls in a single drive. In the NFL this almost never happens, yet it happens at least once or twice if I am leading in the 4th quarter in almost every game. Normally the refs don't place the ball until each side is in place or close, making this a rare penalty which usually only occurs if one side is lolly-gagging, which in my opinion should never happen in a video game.

13)Have FB's at least attempt to block the person they're supposed to. Usually the LB coming out of the middle of the field.

If you guys think of others lets discuss them. Some things in this game work as intended and people don't realize it. Or it has a steep learning curve for that portion.

How about NOT having kick returners run down from behind when they appear to be long gone. Considering they're usually the fastest players on the team, this should never happen.

Make the ball actually move when on the ground!

I had a play where I rolled my QB out to the left and tried to bootleg into the corner of the endzone. He was hit at the one yard line and fumbled and the ball just stopped dead, in bounds. Considering he was running full speed the momentum should have carried the ball out of bounds...

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
It does appear that the fatigue is too harsh for slow down. I can see if they start the play out tired or something. One thing that helps is to not continually tap the burst button. If you just run they can keep away. I've run 3 or 4 back for TD's online.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
6)Fix DB AI so that when they have high perception they don't go for an interception and have the animation take them out of the play. Possibly make it a slider so you can set DB aggressiveness.
This is a big issue with me. Time after time I have been burned on fly routes because my idiotic safety leaped up in the air to try to bat the ball down instead of staying on the ground in position to make the play on the receiver. A lot of times this happens before I can even switch control to the DB, and it drives me nuts. Stay on the damn ground, concede the reception if you're beat, and make the tackle. A slider for this would be perfect.
I also think the AI running backs are incredibly cheap in the way they break tackles. It's been said many times before, but it absolutely drives me nuts that a big back like Dillon just cannot be brought down on a single hit, ever. Maybe if I'm a wimpy DB I can see that, but come on--if a 320 pound lineman dives at you and hits you flush, you are going down, I don't care who you are. The CPU back shrugs off hit after hit after hit, especially in the second half if the computer is down, and it frustrates me to no end. One broken tackle, I can see. Two? Sure, if the back is good. Three even, okay, the defense needs to be shot, but I'll give you three. But 6 or 7? No. That's just cheap. Yet I see it over and over again. Hit the back with a lineman, he shrugs if off. Drill him with a linebacker, shrugged off. Another linebacker, still on his feet. A corner-back. One safety. The other saftey. Bounce, bounce, bounce, and there goes the RB into the endzone, after I hit him no less than 3 times behind the line of scrimmage. :angry:

Jason Price

Second Unit
Mike,
Excellent list. I'll double up on some of your big points, and add a few of my own. I'm not really going to focus on player vs AI games, as the most important part of the game to me is player vs player. There are certainly things about playing the AI that should be fixed, but they are second in my book of importance
13)Have FB's at least attempt to block the person they're supposed to. Usually the LB coming out of the middle of the field.
My #1 beef with the game and a source of endless frustration for me.
Here are some of my additional suggestions...
1) Fix the passing game and the drops. The QBs are simply too accurate, and I believe the drops were put into place to counteract this. It's unrealistic, and a source of great frustration for many. A certain amount of inaccuracy needs to be modeled in, with it being magnified when under pressure or scrambling.
2) Allow bump-n-run to be called on any play. I should be able to force my DBs into bump coverage when I deem it necessary, even in a zone (at my own peril). This is just an extension of the audible system.
3) Random game conditions for ranked games on XBL. I'm bored with mid-day, sunny, perfect weather games all the time. Randomize the conditions when the game starts.
4) When selecting the defender closest to the ball on a pass play, have it select based on where the ball is going to end up, not where the ball is in the middle of a pass. I hate trying to select the DB closest to the receiver, only to end up with a LB in the middle of the field that happened to be close to the ball as it was passing overhead.
5) FIX THE FB BLOCKING! Okay, that was just for emphasis. :)
6) Allow a facility for online leagues. Not exactly sure how this would work (haven't thought it through), but it would be nice.
I know I'm forgetting a few others, but they're slipping my mind right now, probably because I haven't played in a couple of days. I'll add more if I can remember them after playing a few games this weekend...

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
The audible thing already works as you described. What I was referring to is sometimes I'll call a play get to the line and ask myself what I called. It would be nice if when playing online or against the computer it would show me the play I called when I look at the routes.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I have one major request for next year's game...

Fix the overscan settings... The game does not fill my widescreen HDTV properly. The is about 1/2 inch on the left and right sides and just a hair on the top. Madden does not have this problem.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Ugh! I just got this game today and I suck so bad that I can't even beat the computer on rookie. I'm just so used to playing Madden, in fact this is the first of the Sega 2K series that I've ever played and I absolutely loathe they way you select plays, it's so much easier with Madden. But I crave the competition that only online play can give you so I'm just going to have to play the hell out it and adjust.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
The play selection becomse second nature with time and now I have a hard time playing madden. The key thing with 2k3 is don't play it like you'd play madden. Being able to select audibles on the fly is awesome. And very very helpful online.

I've always had the most success with football titles. I can usually jump right in and do okay. Now if I was only as good at other games.......

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
I too had some trouble initially with NFL 2K3. I had 2K and 2K1 for the DC, but got Madden my first time out with the Xbox. When I finally switched to NFL 2K3, I found I was doing a whole bunch of button mashing as a result of instinctually going with the Madden control screen. Once I finally practiced and got the hang of it, I have done OK. I have been on Live for a few days now and have a 1-1 record. Although, knowing me, that will soon become 1-15. ;)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Quick question, just got this game last night and I'm wondering why you can't save replays of great plays to your harddrive. If you can then I'm really pissed because I had a great run with Ricky Williams for 84 yards where I used every trick the RB could do and kicked ass. I ran some sucker over by dropping the shoulder, juked the hell out of two guys, did a spin move on some guy, ran another guy straight over, and took it to the house, all in just my second game. I really wanted to save this and show it to my friends but it wouldn't let me save the replay, which really blows. It seems like you can only save replays to a memory card, which makes no sense to me.
Also, why doesn't this game fill up my whole screen (damn I sound like J6P). All my other Xbox games fill up the screen due to me adjusting my overscan ratio and the games actually filling the whole frame. PS2 games all have a little black border all around it. Are the black lines around it because the game was ported from PS2 or was this game developed for Xbox first. If so, why are there black bars around the whole image? Kinda feels like I'm getting robbed of screen real estate. Takes away from the grand NFL feeling. :frowning: :D

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Also, why doesn't this game fill up my whole screen (damn I sound like J6P). All my other Xbox games fill up the screen due to me adjusting my overscan ratio and the games actually filling the whole frame. PS2 games all have a little black border all around it. Are the black lines around it because the game was ported from PS2 or was this game developed for Xbox first. If so, why are there black bars around the whole image? Kinda feels like I'm getting robbed of screen real estate. Takes away from the grand NFL feeling.
I have the same issue... I think there is something wrong with the way they programmed it for widescreen. I have no problems with Madden 2003 in widescreen...

A

Andrew_A_Paul

Is anyone having a problem with their fullback running right by a defender and not blocking? I know he should hit the linbacker, but one would think that if he comes up on a lineman first he should block him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks