What's new

Anyone seen the boycott Monster Stuff? (1 Viewer)

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm afraid that Kevin.W is right...its the laws that need to change. The lawyers do what they are allowed to do.

The idea that you can trademark an everyday word really upsets me.

There has to be a limit. I am all for protecting your name and not allowing others to profit from it. Lets be reasonable here, profitering from others trademark is usually a obvious behaviour. What kind of monetary damage can a company selling old clothes do to Monster Cable? Or equate Monster Vintage Clothing with Monster Cable products.

Who would have known that your enfringing on copyright the day after Thanksgiving. I guess, as long as you don't tell anyone you laid a monster cable.

Cheers,

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I believe they did in fact sue Disney or Pixar over the name Monsters, Inc. I don't recall the outcome, though.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
how's this for a statistic: American lawyers make up 44% of all the lawyers in the world. Blame it on Erle Stanley Gardner (he made it sound sooo interesting...)

As far as Monster cable goes.. it looks like every time someone files an application for a trademark with the word "moster" in it they file an attempt to block it (and the process gets held up, costing the original applicant time and money etc) HISS! wonder how much they're paying their lawyers..

Randy W

Auditioning
NO more Monster products for me! Apparently they have chosen to use their excess profits to sue the ass off anyone they choose. I beleive they have a right to protect their trademark... but only in the specific business areas that they produce specific products in. It looks like they have chosen to lay claim to any business with "Monster" in it. They'll probably lose most of these challenges but in the process have inflicted huge attorney costs to the defendants. Many of these are small business and cannot stand the costs. To save face, I think Monster had better pull their horns in and seriously modify their list of targets.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator

Vote Kerry /Edwards on tues

Seriously, I know everyone loves the underdog and hates the BIG, BAD corporation but Noel started very modestly and has achieved the american dream. So , while I have in the past been the benificiary of gobs of free (or insanely cheap)product, have known managers of stores I've worked for drive his expensive cars while vacationing on his dime, and seen him entertaining Women much younger than himself in extravagant ways, I choose to begrudge and envy him nothing...this is america, and like it or not he CREATED and DEVELOPED the cable market and brand name recognition is worth a whole lot to his buisness and he has earned some respect. If you feel that he earns to much money and shouldn't have bought bought the rights to name Candlestick "monster park", then fine don't buy his stuff. However he is the leader that everyone else is trying to dethrone and started those who have improved cable design down the path. He holds the OVERWHELMING majority of patents in his feild and has better than 50% market share.
While the company I now work for doesn't do as much with Monster but rather chooses a company that is a bit more straight forward, I think we should look at other companies that started as modestly as he and are shooting for the same goals..Under Armour comes to mind, does anyone begrudge them their success?... Maybe we will soon enough....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks