Anyone reading/read "The Hobbit"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Carmona, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Ok, ill admit, this whole Lord Of The Rings thing has hit me.
    My buddy bought me "The Hobbit", she knows i have been wanting to read it for years, but when i told her that LOTR was making it as a movie she gave me an early Christmas present.
    I have never really been very involved with Fantasy novels, although i do find Fantasy games (D&D and PC) very entertaining.
    Well, i dont know what to say. As im reading this magnificent book, i just cant believe the imagination of the author. This book is so beautiful, it almost brings tears to my eyes.
    I only read a few pages before bed, but i find myself wanting to read it straight through which i am trying to avoid doing. I like the adventure i encounter every night.
    Id really like to know what opinions others have about this.
    I cant wait to read the other books as well. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Hmm. Well I have to say that the Hobbit is damn good but it is a children's novel. Tolkien admitted he didn't really know how to write for children afterwards and made it a bit to patronising.
    He did go back and edit it to bring the adult aspects up a bit, though, and that's the only version I ever read. I didn't have any real problem with that but it's definitely a lighter read than LOTR.
    Oh the other hand the characters are very strong. A problem with LOTR for me is a lack or strong characterisation. Others will probably disagree but that's my feeling. Reading other fantasy novels always brings home how good LOTR is, however. [​IMG]
    Theo
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If you think The Hobbit is good, wait until you read Rings.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, I read the Hobbit this summer and I'm about 1/10th of the way into the complete Rings book. The hobbit was a quick read and it read like Bilbo's Big Adventure [​IMG] and seems completely different in style than the LOTR book. I guess one could say that it has more of a children's storyish feel to it, but I enjoyed it and made me look forward to reading the LOTR even more. I liked even the little bit of Hobbit humor and stuff in it, especially at the beginning when Gandalf first shows up at Bilbo's hut... Quite funny since I know how he must feel [​IMG]
    Jay

5. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I actually just got these books from amazon a couple weeks ago. I only owned the hobbit and I thought now was as good a time as any to pick them up. It's making my school reading really difficult because I always tend to gravitate towards the LOTR...blasted Tolkien *shakes fist in mock anger*

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

While I never got around to reading The Hobbit, I believe it is best to start with the LOTR: Many people might be put off by the childish tone of the Hobbit and think the LOTR is similar.
    But then the first few chapter of the LOTR are also on the same tone so I don't know what I am saying finally [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

7. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

I read it back in 7th grade. Very entertaining book! It's a book that will definitely keep you interested, that's for sure! Can't wait for the movie though!
    Mike

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Don't forget that the Hobbit was written by Tolkien for his children. That's why it's got a "children's book" feel. Those same children were older when The Lord of the Rings was written. That's why it's got a more mature feel to it.

9. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

I re-read the whole trilogy "getting ready" for the movies. The first time I read them was in 1972.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I disagree with reading LOTR first, despite The Hobbit's childish slant. I found the introduction necessary to really appreciate getting into the LOTR - which you should also seriously consider. Get lots of rest before starting LOTR though, as I found that near impossible to put down, and with the number of pages you're facing, it is a daunting but worthwhile endeavor.
    I do think that no matter how good the films are, they an't live up to the books. There is something about using ones own imagination that pales with someone else's vision.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

12. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

13. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Hell yes!
    I saw a cheezy movie the other day "The One", and there was an extended/different trailer for LOTR.
    Well it was different from the one i had seen before and boy was it awesome!
    I can hardly wait!
    ------------------

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Although you could read LoTR without the Hobbit, I too would recommend against it. Sure it's written in a children's book style, but it's not badly written. Just get through it (it takes about 8-10 hours of reading, so only about a week if you do 1-2 hours a day) and then you will be armed with the foreknowledge of how The Ring came into the possession of the Hobbits. Plus it's great to see the transformation of Bilbo and Gandalf from the beginning to the end of the Hobbit, and then again in The Lord of the Rings.
    J.R.R. Tolkien isn't my favorite author (that would have to go to Stephen King) but this series is definitely my favorite piece of fiction writing ever.

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Right now I'm about 1/5th the way through... Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippen, are headed to Rivendell and trying to survive the Black Riders.. they're around Weathertop and headed out of Bree with Strider... Ohhhh the suspense. No way I'll finish this before the movie comes out especially since I'm a real slow reader, I like to digest things real slow.
    Jay

16. Peter Harkess

Started it a couple of weeks ago. It's quite a quick read but I got stalled at chapter 12. I was reading it for a second time while I was sick (I got better at chapter 12). When I finish it I'm moving on to a similar book, The History of Western Philosohy by Bertrand Russell. I don't think there are any Dragons in that though. [​IMG]

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I really, really enjoyed this book as well. Far less pretentious than LOTR (which is never the less amazing), it really drives home the value of simple things in life as well as setting up the dramatis personae for LOTR.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Preorders
    My Wishlist
    Potter is coming...

18. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I read the hobbit many years ago in junior school, but reading this post got me thinking that I might read it again, and LOTR too.
    Now just got to find time between my job, watching films and reading this damn forum [​IMG]

19. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

20. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Jay, i just to where you are.
    This is great!
    ------------------