What's new

Anyone listen to Electronic? (1 Viewer)

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
I know that there is alot of people that look down on this type of music, but for some reason, I love it. Anyone else listen to this stuff?

My favorite is Trance, but I like pretty much anything....Progressive, House, Drum 'n' Bass, etc.

Anyone go to see dj's?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I also don't understand why many people think music made with--in part or in whole--with electronic instruments isn't "real" or "serious" music.

I thought the whole point of music is to use certain sounds to convey a certain mood or emotion. So who cares where that sound originates?

I have heard much music that uses synthesizers sound very organic and believable. And have heard music using what literally sounded like transistors, capacitors and resistors connected together making a sound, and I personally didn't like it: it sounded robotic & shallow. A lot of the music they play at raves is like this.

While I understand the attraction of a human being operating a mechanical device with their fingers, mouth, or lungs, limiting yourself to just those instruments is to limit your creativity.

LJ

NicholasL

Second Unit
Me too. Especially when there are lots and lots of lights, brain shaking bass, 40,000 people, and you're on E. Whoops, did I say that?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I was at a Drum 'n' Bass lounge last friday - a DJ friend's first gig. Dancing to this thing takes some getting used to... but it was fun! :)

--
Holadem

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Drum n bass is sweet. I go to a couple of d n b events every now and then.

What Dj's have you guys seen?

Jonny K

Second Unit
Well, I'm pretty new to the "scene" so I haven't experienced many DJs yet. The only guy(s) I've seen who you may have heard of is "Cosmic Gate" a group out of Germany. Very sweet stuff. They performed at a rave in Calgary during Canada Day.

Jonny K. :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Er, are we talking about pure electronic music like Tangerine Dream or Tomita, partially electronic like Yes, Rush & Radiohead or what I call "techno", that hyperpaced stuff with beeping/plinking sounds and female vocals that sound like Betty Boop?

LJ

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
DJ DB
Dieselboy
Dave Aude
DJ Neophyte (hardcore)
Rotterdam Terrorcore (hardcore)
Tons more less well knowns

love the comps out there..
harcore to da bone

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Electronic as in dance type stuff, like house, trance, DnB, Jungle, Progressive, techno, etc.

P.S. Cosmic gate has some sick tracks.

And for DnB, Dieselboy is the shit.

Jonny K

Second Unit
This site really helped introduce me to the music. You may not like it at first, but if you leave it running for a while as background music it will probably grow on you.

My favorite is probably hard house. I love bass. :)

http://www.digitallyimported.com/

Jonny K.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Jonny K.. that site is pretty cool, except that the Harcore channel doesn't play anything I'd categorize as hardcore... alas, its great for background music to pass the time at work. Thanks for the link.

Nathan J.. have you heard DJ DB? On par with Dieselboy imo.
Good stuff..

I'm a little older and have moved on from my days of attending raves or techno lounges and dancing all night like I used to.. (hey, I thought I looked good), but I still love this stuff. I can't get enough of whats now being called electronic with so many sub categories, that is reminds me of what used to be called Metal which I also like.

My wife thinks I'm a freak, and I can only listen to it, or any of the music I like for longer than a few minutes when she's around.. Thank god for headphones and my half hour commute in my sound sanctuary... my truck.. A good system will make this shit sound..in the words of Andrew Dice Clay.. unf*&king believable!

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
My favorite "default" listening:

Ministry of Sound Internet Radio

My recommendation for best "electronica" (not electronic - that term does refer to the aforementioned Tangerine Dream/Tomita genre) album is Out There And Back by Paul Van Dyk (his other albums are also good).

Jonny K

Second Unit
That Ministry of Sound isn't bad, but I sure wish it was a better quality stream.

Jonny K.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
The problem is most Americans (I do NOT say that in a condecending manner, I am blaming the radio/clubs/MTV, etc.) do not get to hear real electronic music.

At work, we were listening to the radio and it was a feed from a local club where they were playing 'techno' - to was the most god awful stuff I have every heard!!! It is no wonder most Americans loathe electronic music!

The stuff I listed to (especially stuff like DK Krush, DJ Spooky, Nick Warran, Paul van Dyk, etc.) is a mix of electronic sounds, some vocals/sound clips, and real 'musical' music stuff.

I will never ask people to LIKE electronics music, but all I want to do is prove to them that electronic music is not the 2nd rate krap you here in thousands of clubs across the country.

What do I see in electronic music? It is pure, simple, real. It is not the pop music trash that is popular for a few weeks. I have CD's that are over a decade old, and they are stuff awesome.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I have a CD that a friend copied from a copy a couple years ago that I absolutely love. It's sort of electronica/trance... somewhere in there.

My problem is that I don't know anyone else who listens to music like it and I have ZERO idea where to find more. It's the only burned CD I have (I never got into copying or downloading music) and I would buy a ton of it if I had a clue what it was.:frowning:

Jonny K

Second Unit
Some good picks Nathan. Also, I found a sweet electronica video stream using "Winamp". They play all sorts of sweet stuff such as trance music videos (yes, there are such a thing) and video from big DJ events. Awesome stuff!

Here's the website for the stream. Just launch the video stream from the left of the website.

http://www.ohmytrance.com/

One more thing. "Sensation" is an awesome dance event that really showcases some great DJ talent. Check out the website. You can hear samples of the music and watch vids.

http://sensation.id-t.com/sensation2003/

Jonny K. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks