What's new

Anyone know what is happening with these FOX DVDs rumored to be coming? (1 Viewer)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Hello Dolly is also out in R4, although that DVD looks and sounds noticeably worse than the remasterd LD of a few years back. The Rose is out in R2, with a director's commentary. FOX has a habit of releasing inferior versions of catalogue titles first in foreign territories and then re-releasing re-mastered SEs in R1 later, so I'd hold off buying any non-R1 versions of these titles.

Spero D

Second Unit
FOX has a habit of releasing inferior versions of catalogue titles first in foreign territories and then re-releasing re-mastered SEs in R1 later, so I'd hold off buying any non-R1 versions of these titles.
That wouldn't seem to be the case with the recently released and 1st release here in Australia of Predator:SE R4.

Spero D.

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
It was with the Terminator: Special Edition

EDIT: Actually it was really only distributed by Fox.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Is the R4 Hello Dolly 16x9?

Peter mentioned that Fox wanted to "do this one right" so hopefully they've learned their lesson with the dissasterous (mostly) transfer of Sound of Music (WAY to much EE and some really shocking print problems in several scenes, but good sound).

The remastered Hello Dolly LD is supurb...one of the best lasers I own (except for sound...a little bright and "thin" sounding). If they can duplicate that but give me the added resolution that a 16x9 DVD could afford (and DTS???) I'd be in heaven.

My fantasy is to watch my Hello Dolly DVD for the first time as the first film on my yet-to-be-purchased projector.

-dave

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The Region 2 release of Cocoon has very bad audio distortion (wow and flutter), which is especially evident on the more poignant cues of James Horner's score.
It's also a very smeary-looking (anamorphic) transfer.
Hopefully when the R1 version gets released they'll have substantially improved things (and perhaps have added some decent extras - a commentary track at the very least!)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The R4 version of Hello Dolly is anamorphic, but looks noticably worse than the re-mastered laserdisc. It appears an earlier print was used. It is also 4.1 not 5.1 and has a different audio track the much better sounding laserdisc.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. Although the "5.1" AC-3 LD is probably really only 4.1 in that the surround info is mono (most 4.1 soundtracks on laserdisc are encoded as 5.1 even if duplicate information is encoded in both rear channels).
I'm sure Fox will endeavour to give us the best looking and best sounding disc they can when they finally release a proper R1 DVD. Hopefully we'll get it before the parade passes by...
Can't wait!!!
dave :)
...you salt your beats and I'll salt mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks