What's new

Anyone know if Disney's DVD of The Black Hole will be Anamorphic, or even Widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I see the artwork is out & about now so I wondered if this info had been announced or leaked yet.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I remember the anticipation to The Black Hole. It was supposed to be Disney's first adult, serious, science fiction film. What a joke that turned out to be! And, after waiting until the very end of the film, the actual black hole event turned out to be more like a replay of the Ave Maria sequence from Fantasia! Also, I've never understand why the dialogue is so poor. It sounds as though everyone re-dubbed their lines - perhaps they did.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm hoping for Anamorphic widescreen too, of course, but no information is known at this point. When the DVD is put up on Disney's Movie Finder, then we will know.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Joshua I have searched every source, included are:
DVDempire.com
Amazon.com
The Lasers Edge.com
Deep Discount DVD
Movies Unlimted.com
Rottentomatoes.com
Yahoo.com

I searched until I started hitting 1999 releases then I gave up. :whew:

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
The film has had a German DVD release from Disney for a few years and its in Anamorphic widescreen so hopefully Disney will release it the same in R1
kd

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
There were two widescreen DVD releases a few years back on the Anchor Bay label. The first was missing the right front channel after Disney passed the wrong master on to Anchor Bay. The second release corrected that.

- Steve

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
I now that they did make a sp/ed for LD but they killed it because Tron did not do will.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Awe shucks I just bought the "TRON" 20th anniversary 2 disc version to add to my old watched 'so' much disc, and now I find out it wasn't so popular. "The Black Hole" is the one I don't watch much at all, with the laughable robots it's too silly. :p)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've got my fingers crossed for a nice new 16x9 transfer.

I think Disney will deliver. Though it's not the best movie in the world...that red hovering robot scared the CRAP out of me as a kid and I'm really looking forward to doing this review once I get the disc.

dave :D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Ah yes, Maximillian. Scared the crap outta me too Dave! Now the movie is pretty silly... but I still enjoy it.

I've got the previous release (the one that came in a red keepcase)... I'll wait to see the specs before I double-dip.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
This movie needs to have a great anamorphic widescreen print, expecially since the only thing it really has going for it is the incredible model work of the Cygnus ship. Wow, they don't build them like that anymore kiddies. The detail on this thing really far surpases any of the Star Destroyers from the Star Wars trilogy.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember having the little record and read-along-book (remember those days -- they had them for Star Wars and Indy too). The film now is silly, but certainly holds appeal if you remember it from childhood.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My best friend's mom took me and him to see The Black Hole. I loved it. And Max & Bob were great robots! I'm not so sure I want to see it again. I think I'd rather treasure my warm feelings, unencumbered by mature re-evaluation :)

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Just wanted to add my name to the "Maximillian totally creeped the hell out of me when I was younger" list we seem to have going. On the University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus, in one of the cafeterias (Presidential, if you know it) there was a "choose-a-music-video-to-be-played-on-the-tv's" kiosk/station that I swear, looked like it could be a great-grandson of Maximillian. I wouldn't go near the thing.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
They should clean up the SFX ala Superman DC and also do complete wire removal for all the robots. It's very, very obvious they're "floating" on piano wire.

Dan

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
Now that the release date of August 3rd is creeping up, are there any more details about it? A review perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks