What's new

Anyone know how improved the new PS2 DVD player is? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I just saw the new "Network adapter package" PS2 system. I guess it also allows you to play dvd's in progressive scan. So, I was just wondering if anyone has had any info on the quality of the dvd player now. I'd love to know how well it performs.

Dan.B

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
No. You have to buy the new version of the console to get progressive dvd playback.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
He is referring to the new console, I think: '"Network adapter package" PS2 system'. Since it doesn't have a new name, he's identifying it by the Network Adapter addition. Is the Network Adapter built-in (as in, inside the main casing), or does the package just include the NA separately?

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Oooh. D'oh.

I would guess that it's probably plugged into the expansion slot that's present for it in the current ps2, no need to re-engineer that.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
The new PS2 Network Adapter package doesn't include the new model PS2. The PS2 system you're talking about, with Progressive Scan, a quieter fan, and a built in receiver for the PS2 DVD remote, will be phased in later in the year. Even though this week's Best Buy ad mentions it, you don't get the new model PS2 by buying the Network Adapter package. Be sure to check the model number on the box before you buy if you want the newer version.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I actually saw the new "Network Ready" PS2 package the other day. It's a black box and it's clearly identified as a the network system package. I could have sworn the progressive DVD player was in the network package as well.

Dan.B

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
It will take a while for Sony to clear out the old SCPH-33901 model PS2s. The new models could appear on store shelves any time, though. Look for model number SCPH-50000 if you want the Progressive Scan player.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I saw the 'Network-ready' PS2 here the other day. It specifically mentioned the infrared port, progressive-scan, etc. on the box, and the serial number on the machine -- as viewed through the box cutout -- was SCPH-33901/N, i believe.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thats the same one I saw Brandon. Same serial number at least. I looked pretty closely though and I saw no indication of the infared and progressive scan.

Dan.B

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I was wrong. I eat my words. I didn't read the fine print closely enough -- it says that it includes DVD player software COMPATIBLE with the DVD remote and IR receiver. Somehow my brain interpreted that as having the IR receiver built in.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Here are two more clues that it is not the new model...

It says it includes the firewire (new PS2 removed that).
And it claims to require the IR dongle (new PS2 doesn't).

I was so ready to get the new PS2 and Sony screwed up.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks