Anyone know anything about washing machine repair?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Ulmer, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Specifically whether the mechanical control timers are interchangeable?

I have an older GE washer that had the selector knob broken off during a move. I apparently can't get the same control anymore, and would have to send this one in for fixing, which could take months. I took the control off, and have found another unit off a Moffat that is physically identical, and has the same connections and power ratings. The only difference is where the programs are located, which I assume relates to the positioning of the cams inside. The wiring harness has wires connected to all the same pins, although I do not have a schematic of the replacement's wiring.

My two options are:
    1. replace the broken timer with the new one. The program positions will change, but that's fine.
    2. Disassemble both units and swap the broken shaft out.

Other than the broken shaft, there is nothing wrong with the machine, so replacing the whole machine is not a viable option. Any help appreciated.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I'd go with "not a vaible option" first and selection one second....depending on the cost of the part(s)

Mort

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The "not a viable option" was refering to replacing the whole machine over a broken knob shaft, which is all that is wrong with it.

I already have a second controller that is as described - identical to the first in all but where the program locations are. This is a mechanical timer, which is basically a bunch of stacked wheels with notches in them.

I can't buy a replacement part, I'd have to send mine away to get fixed, and all they are going to do is disassemble the stack and replace the shaft (which is what is broken).

I was hoping someone would know whether these timers are pretty much interchangeable to confirm my suspicion. I already know that GE and Moffat are the same company (Camco).

4. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Sounds like a good gamble to me. I say just hook it up and monitor a cycle. What can it hurt? You say it has the same power ratings so the probablity of burn out is low. The worse that can happen is you hook it up and it doesn't work.

Live life on the edge and duuuuu eeeeet.[​IMG]

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

My only concern would be whether the pinouts match, although it seems unlikely that they would reengineer more than they had to from model to model.

6. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I think the function of the pinout locations would be the same, especially considering they are the same manuf. The only problem would be extra pins on one connector. If so then I still think the main and important functions would be common in both and hence the washer would still wash clothes. The extra pins (if any) would probably be for some optional feature that one model has over the other model.

Are you able to see the pins to see if they don't match? I still the risk is low to just plug that bad boy in and let 'er rip.

When you turn it on, just wave your hands in the air and yell, "Whoooooooooooo!" to give the added effect of danger.[​IMG]

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The only thing I know about washing machine repair is something I just learned a few minutes ago: first, check for mice. [​IMG]

Joe

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
  9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Thanks everyone, washer is now fixed. I decided to salvage the knob shaft from the second unit to replace mine. Had I looked at this thing closer, I would have realised that I could have used the machine just fine with a pair of pliers instead of having it sit around for two years awaiting repair (a friend had lent me his spare machine in the mantime). Anyhow, it's fixed now. [​IMG]

Special thanks to my friend Pat for both the use of his machine, and for finding me the new control panel that I used for salvage.

Next up, fridge repair! [​IMG]

10. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

Last year the "Selector Knob" on our washing machine started to fail. Sometimes the machine would stop between cycles because the selector knob had failed to advance to the next cycle. This was no big deal because we just had to turn the knob one "Click" to the right and it would work again. My wife was nagging me for about a year to get it fixed. It drove her crazy, but I did not understand what the big deal was. I kept telling her to just turn the knob one "Click" to the right.

On boxing day last year I was in Best Buy when my wife called me franticly! She said the washing machine overflowed and flooded the basement!!!!! MY HOME THEATER IS IN THE BASEMENT!!!! Well the good old "Selector Knob" got stuck on the fill cycle and kept the water coming until someone manually advanced it one "Click" to the right!!!!!

Luckily my wife caught it before the water reached my Home Theater, but there was one hell of a mess for "ME" to clean up. When I was done with the Shop Vac my wife and I went shopping for a new washing machine!!!

11. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

After a year of manually advancing the knob and your wife nagging, it took endangering your home theater to motivate you. Yup, sounds like an HTF member to me.[​IMG]

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Robbie will never have to worry about a giant "Milwaukee's Best" can falling on his head, that's for sure. [​IMG]

Joe