What's new

Anyone know anything about microwave ovens? Mine died. (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I guess it was all the action it got with the Thanksgiving feast, but our microwave unceremoniously bit the dust the other day. It comes on – the lights and fan work, just don’t get that hum you normally hear when it’s heating.

I was wondering if there’s an easy fix for these things – an internal fuse, perhaps a part I could replace myself easily and cheaply. We’re trying to sell the house and I really don’t want to buy a brand new oven just to give it away, know what I mean?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I know that one! I am pretty sure that they do have fuses. I'd pull it out and check the back. You never know, it might be easy.

If it doesn't work it shouldn't stay where it is - at any rate, so you have nothing to lose.

I'd be asking myself why the fuse (if that is it and there is one) blew in the 1st place. Can you finger the person that used it last? Maybe it quit with like 5 seconds to go on the last item.

Glenn

StephenHa

Second Unit
if the fuse blew you'd have no lights, the problem is more than likely the magnetron how old is it and what brand (ge warranties their regular line ones for 10 years parts)

NickT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
If it is still under warranty look into that, otherwise just buy a new one. The cost of a new magnetron will be the same or more than buying a entire new microwave.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s about 6 years old, I think – Sharp Carousel. Thanks for the info, Nick. I figured it was probably the magnetron, just didn’t know about the prospects of replacing it. I guess we’re off the appliance store!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Wayne,

What exactly is broken about it? Totally dead, timer works but no "cooking sound", everything works but it doesn't heat food? We ended up replacing a bum microwave last year and it required a bunch of little repairs over the years. Typically it's the same thing over and over but give us some info and we'll help you figure it out.

StephenHa

Second Unit
magnetron is toast, and sharp is a lowend brand (at least the ones with their name on them) only 3 companies make microwaves get a cheapy at wal mart for 49 bucks

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Yup, that's your magnetron. For the repair cost, as Stephen suggested, it might be just as cheap to get a whole new microwave. It was for us ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
is this a countertop or an over the range? 30-50 bucks buys a pretty decent counter top microwave these days, it's scary how cheap these things are.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Update:

I found a company that sells the magnetron for $55. Probably worth it for us, since this is a really large microwave and anything comparable will cost at least $125. Plus, right now we’re trying to sell the house and move, so the cheaper we can get out of this the better!

I popped the cover just now and there’s only a few screws holding the magnetron in – a 6-year-old could change it out!

Thanks for the responses, everyone. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I kinda in the same boat. I put a plate of leftover mac-n-cheese to heat up. Entered in one minute, the microwave started and after about 3 seconds there was a loud pop noice and the microwave is dead: no power at all. (No light when open the door, no power to panel etc.) I make sure it's not the plug.

Took the microwave apart and there is only one fuse I can find: it's inbetween the wires that run from the control panel to the capacitor. I replaced the fuse and still no luck.

Any ideas?

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

Yes. Nothing tripped; the plug works okay. I also plugged the microwave into other outlets.

Foster

Auditioning
You have to replace that fuse with a slo-blo appliance fuse of the same rating. Home Depot or Lowes should carry them. Either white colored glass tube, or the clear ones with spring loaded filament at one end. It has to be the appliance rated slo-blo type otherwise you'll keep blowing regular fuses and never get it working.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks