What's new

Anyone know a place to buy brand new dvd's cheap (1 Viewer)

Adrian>G

Agent
I am looking to order dvds from those places like columbia house that sells 10 dvd's for the price of like 2. anyone have any reccomendations about where to buy dvds cheap online .....

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Doing smart comparison shopping online does help. Avoid bootlegs, (not just because of HTF policy) because the quality is just not there.

Amazon.com is my favorite, and I know there are members who have mentioned deepdiscountdvd.com. My brother used to work for Fry's, and they have pretty good prices. Their DVD website is outpost.com

You can also find new stuff being sold on Ebay, just watch out for bootleggers. My advice on that score is to keep your personal b.s. detector on full power.

I wish the site that helps do price comparisons would stay consistent - it seems to either change format or URLs too frequently, and I have taken it out of my bookmarks as a result.

It also helps to ask about "brick and mortar" stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, and others. Many of them have websites, and you can check the prices on their websites. If one of these stores is convenient for you, you can save yourself the shipping and handling and buy it directly from the store. Just keep a list of the prices they offer on their websites, because the price at the store might differ.

Wal-Mart also has pretty good prices, especially in the first week after a DVD has been released - provided it does not run afoul of their family friendly policy and they will not stock it.

Columbia House did pretty well by me when I was subscribed to their service. I had a few quibbles, but for the most part, I got great deals AND service from them.

Rocky F

Second Unit
And for new releases, always be sure and check HTF's own weekly roundup every week in the bargains and coupons section.

Adrian>G

Agent
Anyone know if columbia house is a rip off, Someone told me it was cause u have to buy a couple of dvds a year at 20 bucks each but I think it still comes out cheaper...........Anyone have any experience with columbia house

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
I actually find Columbia House to be cheapest if you open an account, fulfill it, and then close it. The problem is that they don't have all movies available. Check out DVDTalk.com for the DVD Clubs section. Way more information there than you'll ever need.

For all other DVDs, I go with Deep Discount DVD as well.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Christopher is spot on regarding Columbia House! I usually 'work' 2 Columbia House accounts -- a TV on DVD account, and a movie account.

I open 1 and use it up; that is, take my freebes and then order the minimum, usually box sets at low prices, then close the account. Meanwhile, I still have my other open account for the ocassional 50% off sales that are only available on-line. I've gotten some great BBC TV shows at half price this way, which are rarely discounted more than 20% even on Amazon! The key is you have to know DVD pricing...

Anyway, I've been buying records, tapes, CDs, videos, and now, DVDs from Columbia House for over 30 years! Anytime I have a problem with a shipment not arriving or an over-charge, I CALL their 800 line and it's always quickly and pleasantly resolved. The only problem these days is they don't have any competition -- I remember when I used to triple dip between Columbia House, BMG and Time-Line Movies for video tapes. Those were the days...

Now, if only I could get some trade-in credit for all those hundred of videos I bought...:D

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
I third Deep Discount DVD. They have kept me stocked with DVDs while I've been in Iraq. Cheap prices, free shipping, good customer service. You just missed a 20% off everything sale they had last month.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Columbia House is the best deal for me. I get my films for around $7 and that would be cheaper but I live in NY and have to pay tax. The only problem is they don't carry all the main studios. However they do carry Warner, Paramount, MGM, Columbia and Universal titles.

As for e-tailers, DeepDiscountDVD has the best prices for most films, but I also pick up DVDs from DVD Pacific, Digital Eyes and a couple of other places.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And note that a couple of Criterion titles have crept into the latest Columbia House offerings... an encouraging portent of things to come? I always thought Criterion ought to work a deal with CH for maximum exposure and sales potential, even if they don't see the same profit margins.

Rick CHO

Grip
DVD Empire is pretty good. Fast, reliable at usually 20-25% off with free shipping on 3 or more titles. Also, if you sign up for their email, you get month dollar off coupons for purchases over a specified amount.

;)

Marie McC

Auditioning
Columbia House charges excessively for shipping and handling. If you do the math, after you've paid their "regular" (too high) prices for the movies to fulfill your commitment plus the unnecessarily high charges for shipping and handling, it's not a good deal. I've had a membership with them, and that's how I know. As noted previously by several on this thread, Columbia also does not have a very good selection, particularly if you're looking for something that's more than ten years old or is foreign or art house.

I've been ordering from deepdiscountdvd.com for five years. There are no shipping or handling charges ever, even if you order only one DVD at a time. Their prices are very good, the service quick and reliable, their selection phenomenal, and they have sales from time to time. I can't tell you when was the last time I bought a DVD elsewhere.

deepdiscountdvd.com is simply the best.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Maybe that depends on the membership code you use to sign up. I joined a couple of weeks ago, and ordered (and received) my 2 commitment DVDs. The average price - including shipping and tax (I'm in NY) - was $5.75 per DVD (9 DVDs).

Yes, there are some studios that CH doesn't carry but they still have a pretty good selection. For example, my 2 fulfillment DVDs were Million Dollar Baby and the My Fair Lady SE. Just don't use their default site to make your initial selections. (DVDtalk.com has a forum devoted primarily to Columbia House, if you need more info.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks